A few photos of my Ferret now repainted matt green

Andrew S

Actually the lines were on there ( just yellow tape) when I got it. & I must say they are not helpful where they are. I might do new ones & line up with the hub fill point or eliminate them altogether. I did jack up the back to check & see if any wind up but the rear wheels did not rotate at all. Any other way to check for wind up?

I think I will leave it all green for now. Maybe add some matt black later.

Edited by Andrew S

Andrew,block wheels on one side, hand brake off, jack other side so that front and rear are off ground. Rotate one wheel the other on same side should also turn. Repeat on other side.This proves drive train to each corner is connected.R
Robin,Is the hull mid way between the front and rear wheels strong enough to use as a single jack point or do u jack each wheel separate & use jack stand? Also in gear or out of gear?Cheers,Andrew

best to jack one corner up axle stand it and repeat process ,i have only tried it with ferret in gear look at tires fore and aft what u want is matched pairs tread wise on each side, will minimize wind up, and when driving find soft ground ,gravel etc this will allow wheels to to release any trans wind up( tires should be within 2 inches of each other try measuring with string around wheel)

It doesn't matter if its in gear the wheels on one side will spin if both wheels on one side of the vehicle are jacked up. Sticking it in gear when jacking won't secure the vehicle from rolling backwards or forwards. That wasn't suggested I know but its safer to pop that one in.

Block up the opposite side to the side you are going to jack up. Buy some nice big axle stands 6 tons if possible and buy good ones not the cheap copies that you see on ebay. Bought a pair of those ended up welding them up.

You can jack the vehicle in-between the wheel stations or the area directly under the drivers feet and the area near the sump plug access holes. If you don't fancy axle stands railway sleepers cut to the width of you're Ferrets hull will suffice.

Feels safer as well.

Edited by ferrettkitt

2 ton axle stands at each corner should be fine thats double the weight of a ferret

The reason that I bought the larger stands was that were almost at the right height for putting under the Ferret. Plus as I have a soft tarmac drive they spread the weight better due to the triangular shaped base plates/feet.

Guys, you have been very helpful. Couple more questions. Regarding the axle stands. Where do you exactly place them? Actually under the axle (& where exactly?) or under the hull inside of the wheel/ axle assembly? Also I have a 3 ton floor jack which I thought should be sufficient? Cheers,Andrew

It doesn't matter if its in gear the wheels on one side will spin if both wheels on one side of the vehicle are jacked up. Sticking it in gear when jacking won't secure the vehicle from rolling backwards or forwards. That wasn't suggested I know but its safer to pop that one in.Block up the opposite side to the side you are going to jack up. Buy some nice big axle stands 6 tons if possible and buy good ones not the cheap copies that you see on ebay. Bought a pair of those ended up welding them up.You can jack the vehicle in-between the wheel stations or the area directly under the drivers feet and the area near the sump plug access holes. If you don't fancy axle stands railway sleepers cut to the width of you're Ferrets hull will suffice. Feels safer as well.
Andy,When you say between the wheel stations do you mean between the front and back on one side or between the 2 rear or 2 front stations?Thanks,Andrew

rather than dsconnect the prop shafts, I would just undo the wheels and rotate? The prop shaft bolts, from what I remember, need to be rotated 180 degrees as the bolts are not evenly spaced, so you may not get the wheels aligned....but if its just tape why bother? Just move the tape or repaint, and go for a quick drive, you should see if everything is OK.

If you want to jack up the side to quicly rotate the wheels, lazily I would just do it on the jack, under the side of the centre of the hull.

Looks very nice.

Andrew,

The idea of the lines on the hubs is that they are aligned to show you have no issues with the hubs or bevel boxes. You might want to repaint them so they are lined up!

Chris

We used the lines on the hubs to indicate the position of the filler to make it easier to stop the vehicle with the filler at 2 o'clock / 10 o'clock and check the oil levels.

I can remember the lines on Saracan and Saladin but not on ferrets, is this old age???:shocked:

I have to admit that thinking about it I don't remember the markings in Command Troop, and in Cyprus the Ferrets were white, so I must be remembering Northern Ireland.