Bedford mj rear brake problem advice needed

hello, i have just bought a bedford mj. i have a problem with my rear o/s brake binding, the problem occurs when the brakes are applied hard, when i reverse a little it seems to release. i have jacked up the axle and adjusted the shoes off but once the brakes are applied the brakes bind again, just wondered if anyone can advise me what to check/replace

thanks

paul

hello, i have just bought a bedford mj. i have a problem with my rear o/s brake binding, the problem occurs when the brakes are applied hard, when i reverse a little it seems to release. i have jacked up the axle and adjusted the shoes off but once the brakes are applied the brakes bind again, just wondered if anyone can advise me what to check/replace

thanks

paul

Paul,

Sounds like a sticking wheel cylinder.

take the drum off and clean the shoes and drum then get someone to slowly depress the brake pedal but be careful not to pop the cylinders "off" and check the brake action, if it's been stood it might just need a bit of working in and out to free it up. if you do find a sticking piston in the slave cylinder take it out and clean it up and refit but if it's swollen then replace it, you don't have to buy a new cylinder you can change the seals instead and don't forget to clamp the brake hose with a set of molegrips to stop the fluid leaking out. hope that helps

rick

May not be a sticking piston at all but wear in the drum or linings causing the shoes to move to far. The leading shoe effect cannot then be overcome by the return springs. Check these haven't become weak also. You'll need a large caliper to check the drum isn't over worn though.

Hi Paul.

also check the hydraulic brake hose, to make sure it is not collapsing internally, and stopping the fluid from returning and holding the brakes on. You sometimes find this if the hoses have been clamped many times

Clive

thanks everyone for your advice, i removed the drum today and found the rear end shoe worn to about 5mm the forward one was about 12mm so i think new linings are required. i will also replace the cylinder seals and the flexi brake hose while am in there.

anyone know the part number for the linings they have four rivit holes top and bottom and are 5 inch wide might make it easier to find some

thanks again

paul

thanks everyone for your advice, i removed the drum today and found the rear end shoe worn to about 5mm the forward one was about 12mm so i think new linings are required.

Paul,

Be aware that Bedford lorries in general, often used two different thickness for leading and trailing shoes. My MJ book is not directly at hand, but it should be obvious by depth of the rivet head from the working surface.