Rolls Royce B Series Engines - On LPG ?

Fugly

Rolls Royce did in fact produce gas versions of B range engine, for civilian applications. I was once shown the ledger with entries for each engine and what they were used in, many diverse uses, sometimes standby generators, buses, Shell fuel tankers, even used in Bedford TK lorries operated by Marks & Spencer. There were comments in the book about overheating problems though, although this could have been due to other reasons, like inadequate radiator capacity, etc.

Seem to remember mention of it on the Stalwart yahoo group. One of the problems was the containment of excess or escaped gas in the sealed hull causing an explosions. Could be a similar problem for several other B engined vehicles, saracen, saladin etc, with enclosed engine bays.

Treat like a boat. Add an extractor fan and run for few minutes before starting. The gas is heavier than air, so a few discret holes can solve the problem. Storage of gas bottles when NOT in use are much more strict. They must be kept in a container with an open bottom drain below the bottom of the tank. Gas being drwan into a Disiel engine is very very spectacular. Adds a whole new mwnaing to Flying Boat.

Dear Lord in the heavens above, please no don't let someone desecrate another MV and bastardise it

R

Robin, With the price of Fuel being what it is here in the UK. LPG conversions are being considered more & more!

I have heard of one or Two Ferrets being done, but havent actually seen them.

It IS feasable, I suppose. With regards to The comments about Gas being hevaier than air & needing drain holes for it.

The belly inspection access plates on a Ferret, could be unbolted & utilised there without the need to Make drain holes! :red:

Dear Lord in the heavens above, please no don't let someone desecrate another MV and bastardise it

R

I think the conversion to lpg is a lot more sympathetic than going diesel for sake of running costs. The original engine and consequently the sound is preserved. The only real modification to engine is the insertion of a sandwich plate between carb and manifold. All the parts tanks etc are easily removed to restore a vehicle to fully original. With a bit of clever work the gas tanks and other items can be disguised as air tanks, cargo or inside existing fuel tanks and not spoil the look of the vehicle.

If it makes the difference between a vehicle being out and about, used and seen rather than sat rotting away in a field them I'm all for it.

I think the conversion to lpg is a lot more sympathetic than going diesel for sake of running costs. The original engine and consequently the sound is preserved. The only real modification to engine is the insertion of a sandwich plate between carb and manifold. All the parts tanks etc are easily removed to restore a vehicle to fully original. With a bit of clever work the gas tanks and other items can be disguised as air tanks, cargo or inside existing fuel tanks and not spoil the look of the vehicle.

If it makes the difference between a vehicle being out and about, used and seen rather than sat rotting away in a field them I'm all for it.

I used to work on a fleet of vans that were converted to LPG, and as long as the tank was safely situated, thye rest of the engine was identical.

I know a chap who has a B80 gas engine, and he is converting it to use in a bentley. Perhaps I should just swap engines with him !

They made a B series g engine mainly for static generators 100% gas,, so it can quite easy be done dont listen to the old fuddy duddy ideas. it can be done and is a good idea. Just why bother for the cost and hassle getting it right joe it off put a diesel in it .

diesel K60 for instance gets the same mpg as a B81, use gas and you save a fortune and get effectively 5 or 6 MPG..a lot for a stalwart...the problem with the stolly is the amount of friction in the drive train there is a lot...

I am doing a zil 131 to gas this week once that is done will have a look at my B81's...I have 5 of them to convert...2 in stollies 3 spares...