RAF (stores number?) query

No Signals

I was sorting through some tyres that came with my truck prior to disposing of the duff ones. Imagine my surprise when I found the 'delivery note' as pictured below, now visible having been stood out in the rain and a couple of bad winters. Point1) can anyone decipher the 3rd and 4th lines - what do they refer to? and point 2) where can I get some of this paint from that lasts on the side of a tyre for 60years? Bloody good stuff! So when I'd finally stripped everything down I had a tyre from 1954, with a dated 1941 tube (seemingly perfect nick) on a 1944 rim. Next q? is would this tyre have been coming from, or going to, 216MU at Sutton Coldfield? 'Cos that might give me a bit more history of the post war life of the truck!!

june 11 001a.JPG

Adding to Richard's It will be to : OC 216MU Sutton Coldfield. ( everything was addressed to the OC. )

KAS/F/405/441-475 -- I reckon this could be a contract detail contract KAS/F/405 / and this item was part of batch 441 - 475 .

Wt 3 cwt agree

but I reckon the final line is DIMS 34"x 10"

Thanks fellas for the prompt and informative responses. I did have the 'DIMS' bit sorted and can see now that what I thought were 2 V's or U's is a W! Weight is now obvious, ..duh.

From your comment Ted that everything was sent to the OC can I reasonably assume that this tyre was being sent to the Maintenance Unit stores base at Sutton Coldfield and not isssued from it then? From what I've read so far on the web Sutton C was a store for ground equipment for aircraft servicing, everything from fuel bowsers to jacks. The tyres could have been just stock for redistribution to airfield units or for the SC base vehicles. Would there be a likely probability either way or what? Cheers.

YES TO OC , everything was addressed "To" .

The despatching unit or company would be annotated on the paperwork that accompanied the inbound consignment. I would say it was coming into the MU for stockholding. Any authorised user would put in a demand for the tyre and it would be issued from the nearest holding MU. Stocks were duplicated between MUs having the same remitt ; this would prevent an air attack wiping out every spare of a certain type __Mnnn this happened twice in my service Richard remember Donnington burnt down not once but twice !!!!!!

So I would guess there would be a bundle of tyres say 6 tied together the top one would have those detasils painted on in addition to labels .

TED