Bedford OY laboratory

fayjo56

Having seen the X Ray lab pic in the ambulances gallery, I was wondering if anyone has pictures of OY Laboratory or other house type bodies. Many years ago my father rescued a water testing Lab and passed it onto an aquantance for restoration - it subsequently got scrapped! It was on civvy wheels so not sure if it was ex military. I was only young at the time, otherwise it wouldnt have gone anywhere!

Hi there,I may have what your after but i don't actually know the lab that is fitted. Picked up at an antiques fair a nice card booklet with original photo,sof a bedford laboratory vehicle. The booklet has stamps showing MEF (MIDDLE EAST FORCE). Definatley military, definatley north africa or therabouts. Will have to scan the pics in at work and send to PC at home so may take a little time. I presume i can convert the PDF back to JPEG to post on the forum?Has shots of the externals and the internal pics have handwritten notes applied showing various items, even has pics of the draw storage.Vehicle has a tank on the roof with pipes that run through an ice cooler box, presumably to chill the water prior to use in experiments etc.Will post them up as quick as i can.Regards Tim

Fridge, fume hood, possibly an incubator and lots of fire extingushers. I wonder if it was a microbiology lab?
I am trawling around at work with some of the labs folks to see if they can come up with something, not posted, but i have pictures that show the draw contents. Test tubes etc that would be used in chemistry etc.It must have been worthy of some briefing or something as the photo,s were all taken in theater, back of the card booklet is annotated GHQ MEF. Vehicle wise, single headlamp and recognition roundle i am presuming the date is round about the 1941 mark. Perhaps the briefing was to explain an increased capability due to the reciept of the then new equipment.Re the fridge Tony, an associated photo,not clear, shows that it contains a run of pipework surrounded and packed with ice. I am presuming to cool the water from the tank feature on the roof. Not sure on my comments re the soils lab as why would you need that requirement out thier? Fairly obvious what you were driving over or digging into. My guess is as you say, chemical/bug testing , but not associated with the medical profession( vehicle otherwise marked with a red cross?) If i get any furthur info i will postRegards Tim

• 3 years later...
I am trawling around at work with some of the labs folks to see if they can come up with something, not posted, but i have pictures that show the draw contents. Test tubes etc that would be used in chemistry etc.It must have been worthy of some briefing or something as the photo,s were all taken in theater, back of the card booklet is annotated GHQ MEF. Vehicle wise, single headlamp and recognition roundle i am presuming the date is round about the 1941 mark. Perhaps the briefing was to explain an increased capability due to the reciept of the then new equipment.Re the fridge Tony, an associated photo,not clear, shows that it contains a run of pipework surrounded and packed with ice. I am presuming to cool the water from the tank feature on the roof. Not sure on my comments re the soils lab as why would you need that requirement out thier? Fairly obvious what you were driving over or digging into. My guess is as you say, chemical/bug testing , but not associated with the medical profession( vehicle otherwise marked with a red cross?) If i get any furthur info i will postRegards Tim

This is a bit of an old thread but i can add some more,the vehicle shown in last few pics is a 3 ton moblle petrol and lubricants laboratory of the RASC middle east forces it would be in the 47-49 period,i do have some further shots of the vehicle in use if anyone pipes up as interested.