Tyre pressure

marmon

Some advice please,

I have Goodyear 12 X 20 bar grip style tyres on my SUMB, the tyres are ex-MOD for a Bedford I believe, can anyone tell me the pressures they would have ran on the Bedford?

I currently run 50 psi but not all the bar rides on the road and it seems a little bouncy so I'm sure they need to come down but how much?

Cheers,

Quentin

• 10 months later...

Marmon

My SUMB was stencilled TP50 (50psi) above the wheel arches for the original 10.5R20 Michelins - I have always stuck to that. Given that I am not loading the truck much over 3.5 tonnes that is probably a bit firm.

As an aside, did you use the original SUMB wheels with the 12x20s ?

Regards

Iain

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

On the Drivers side door of my SUMB is a printed sheet giving the Tyre pressures for the 10.50 x 20's 50psi is a tad on the high side

Pres1.jpg

previous owner was running at around 50psi I have set it to 2.7 and 2.9 bar and it rides a lot nicer on the road

hope that helps

Dave

Dave

Thanks for that - I make that about 38 psi forward and 40psi rear ? I will give it a go when I next do a long road run and see how it works

Regards

Iain

Edited by g0ozs
fix typo

After a quick bit of translation

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=width: 108][/TD]

[TD=width: 102]Highway[/TD]

[TD=width: 116]general purpose[/TD]

[TD=width: 140]Ground inconsistent[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]AV = Front[/TD]

[TD]39 PSI[/TD]

[TD]26 PSI[/TD]

[TD]20 PSI[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]AR = Rear[/TD]

[TD]42 PSI[/TD]

[TD]28 PSI[/TD]

[TD]20 PSI[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

regards

Dave

Marmon

My SUMB was stencilled TP50 (50psi) above the wheel arches for the original 10.5R20 Michelins - I have always stuck to that. Given that I am not loading the truck much over 3.5 tonnes that is probably a bit firm.

As an aside, did you use the original SUMB wheels with the 12x20s ?

Regards

Iain

Thank you everyone for the information, I settled on 38psi all around (unloaded) they sit with the bar touching along its length and seem to be wearing evenly, nice smooth ride and no more bouncing.

Yes I used the original rims with tubes, I know the tyres are designed for split rims and its a bit naughty but there is no way they will fall off, it does in fact take a herculean effort to get them on and they've been on for nearly 8,000 miles now quite a bit of it way loaded and a little at low pressure off road. Does wonders for the gear ratio also and makes it look right.

Cheers all.