Royal Engineers Ferret 00DD24

Catch 22 LBDR

Hi guys. Decided to start my own thread so i can ask questions that relate directly to my Ferret. I apologise if I'm repeating questions already asked.

My first question relates to the vehicles history.

According to my vehicle history card she served with 2 armoured engineer squadron from 1972-75, and 12 field squadron Royal Engineers from 1976-92. both in Germany (BAOR). I would like to mark up the Ferret as one of these, Probably the latter as i have fitted her out with Clansman and a GPMG. can any one help me.

Thanks Ross

My next question is the age old one about tires, 900x16 dunlop track grip. I have read on other thread's on this site how they are made under licence in India and someone has even brought in a bulk load a few years ago, so where do i get these tires, can anyone help me?

Edited by Catch 22 LBDR
Added too

Dear Catch 22 LBDR, (why cant you use your own name!)

Welcome to the forum, the search feature works well.

nice to see another Ferret owner here

As far as marking try unit or corps publications and Soldier magazine as a reference source or talk to an old sweat who was there, so many markings possible by the book but what actually was used would make your head spin.

Some of the scale model magazines like Military in Scale have had good features on real vehicles that are useful

Regards

Robin

Canada

Edited by robin craig

12 Fd Sqn RE was at Roberts Barracks Osnabruck, I was there with 43 Sqn in the late eighties. You could try the RE Museum at Chatham for official information. Or ask on the ARRSE forum, you may find ex Sqn members on there who remember it

Thanks, Dont suppose you have any pics.

Thanks, Dont suppose you have any pics.

I have a picture of 00DD25,( I thinks its that) , hard to see the second "D" in the number.

And 00DD27 - sorry its not yours , but its close....

Edited by Fugly

I have a picture of 00DD25,( I thinks its that) , hard to see the second "D" in the number.

And 00DD27 - sorry its not yours , but its close....

That would be great, thanks. Also do you remember what the uniform was like then, was it light weights and jumpers, or dpm, and what flashes and markings would you have warn.

That would be great, thanks. Also do you remember what the uniform was like then, was it light weights and jumpers, or dpm, and what flashes and markings would you have warn.

Sadly they are not my pics , so I cannot really put them on the forum. However if you send me

a direct email address by PM I will send you copies.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

My next question is the age old one about tires, 900x16 dunlop track grip. I have read on other thread's on this site how they are made under licence in India and someone has even brought in a bulk load a few years ago, so where do i get these tires, can anyone help me?

Simex ST24, made in Malaysia. Good luck trying to get some in the country, I tried back in 2003 and others have tried since. To begin with they would only sell a container load at £200 a tyre, then they lost interest all together.

Chris

Simex ST24, made in Malaysia. Good luck trying to get some in the country, I tried back in 2003 and others have tried since. To begin with they would only sell a container load at £200 a tyre, then they lost interest all together.

Chris

So what is the alternative?

Was thinking of Micheln xzl, what do the NDT's look like?

I have xzl fitted on my 101 - these are marked in the metric size (and sub marked as 9.00x16) - the 101 club users regard them as a good tyre which is much harder wearing than the XL but be aware however that, despite them being 9.00 x 16, they are physically a larger tyre than the original Dunlops and will affect your vehicle handling - on a 101 they significantly increase the effective gear ratios - don't know if that would matter on Ferret however

the NDT are the standard Goodyear "bar tread" used on lots of softskins, they work well on Ferrets but make sure you get ones with a high ply rating - you'll also need flaps rather than the original run flat insert