Aden Colour Schemes

Rover8FFR

Co-incidentally I'd like to ask the same question about Saladins in Cyprus & Aden...I have a couple to build (models that is) & am having the same trouble making up my mind on the colour scheme.

Anyone ?

H

Keep us posted.......Colours scheme in poor quality pictures I have seen on Aden site seem to suggest Sand with Black, but then the Rover 8's used by the Argyles look DBg and Stone..........Confused dot.com :shocked:

This is a Rover 8 GS of the 16/5th Lancers taken in Aden circa 1963-64.

I am guessing that this vehicles is not green, camoflaged or polka dot. Judging by the lovely paint job under the bonnet they were expecting the bonnet be up often in public areas!

09EK-- - Land Rover S2a GS - 16-5th Lancers, Aden - 1963-64.JPG

Now to really open this up. This is still not green, camoflaged or polka dot, but it does appear to have a white strip across the rear of the bonnet and wings on top of the vehicle. I do not think it is a light area caused by reflection fron the windscreen either as it passes cleanly past the front of the speare wheel mount on the bonnet.

To clarify this is also 16/5th Lancers in Aden 1963-1964. I think this one should be replicated, right down to the L Plate. Never seem to see these at shows.

24DM07 - Land Rover Rover 8 GS - 16-5th Lancers tour of Aden & the Persian Gulf 1963-64.JPG

Now to advance forwards a few years to 1967, and join the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in Aden. This period under the command of 'Mad Mitch' is well documented. If you search the ITN archives of the time you will find several bits of film footage, often in colour.

As you can see these Rover 8 FFR's are still Sand, but camoflaged with broad green irregular strips.

53EK-- - Rover 8 FFR and Rover 8 FFR - Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders - Aden - 1967.jpg

Were the Rover8's in Aden DBG/Stone, Olive/Stone or Black/Stone cammo.

Looking at some old images and the colours aren't defined enough!

Thanks

So I think it is safe to say;

early GS vehicles were stone,

later FFR vehicles were stone/olive.

It is not safe to assume early FFR were not cammed, and that later GS were cammed.

Attached is a mine plated Rover 8 FFR. (It is either travelling fast or those are not aerials, but cables to a very large helium balloon/ helicopter.) It is stone with olive camoflage, but a slightly different style of cam to the Argylls FFR's. Date unknown, and I can't recall where I stole the image from.

The RAF Fire section at Khormaksar also had a Rover 8. I can only locate images of the Rover 9 atm, but that was bright red. Guessing you may not have been too concerned about the Fire Section Rover 8 though?

Rover 8 with mine protection - Aden.jpg

The colour is wrong for the DBG used on any of the layers on my Rover 8s. I am almost certain that is Olive.

Wheels on both Landys look like they are untouched and to me that means DBG and the body doesn't look like the same green as the wheels....

As I cannot trace history of my Rover8 FFR and it was early 60's I had the thought that a lot of images I have seen are of them used in Aden or Belfast.

All the other FFR's on the forums are DBG, so I thought why not be a little different and do an Aden replica........

I guess the desert stone colour all over would look great........but it may not be correct on an FFR or would it????

Looking at Aden veterens web site some early FFRs are one colour only and that is desert sand / stone........

However my panels show only signs of DBG :-(:-(:-(. My LTWT S3FFR started service with UDR before it went to 29 Cdo RA and got winterised........So that was a NI vehicle first.

My PIG is ex 4th Guards so that was BAOR......And so DBG.

What is a man to do?????

And to top it all the latest Toastie was painted pink?????????? Im guessing some PO before the last PO thought he had a chopped Pink Panther.....:cheesy:>:(>:(>:(:shocked::shocked:

Does anyone have an opinion on a Rover 8FFR being done as ex Aden or leave DBG because no history but no sand paint on original panels, therefore I am not strictly being accurate.

What would you do if it were your choice chaps.....:cry:

I guess I like the vehicles in desert sand / stone livery because they stand out and are a bit different.:laugh:

Does anyone have an opinion on a Rover 8FFR being done as ex Aden or leave DBG because no history but no sand paint on original panels, therefore I am not strictly being accurate.

What would you do if it were your choice chaps.....:cry:

Restoration often has these descisions. I have the history, or part history, to my three Land Rover. When restoring I may display them in the colours they left the factory, but they will always bear historic repairs and scars from leter life.

Take the approach of the BBMF. The paint gets changed and renewed each display season to keep the displays fresh. Rover 8s are not too numerous, so why not have fun and try different scenarios? You are the modern custodian. Photograph it, and maintain a history file. Any future custodians can see from your records what it wore and when. You will not confuse history this way, but actively portray it.

Just bear in mind the headaches DVLA love to cause when you change details like the colour... (Is it the same vehicle? Can we inspect it? Why did you paint it, was it because it was severely damaged and is now extensively repaired?)

I restored my old 'EL' registered Rover 8 in Aden markings back in the 1990s, partly because a lot of the EL series of vehicles seem to have lost their army history cards (therefore it's history was unclear), partly because I too like desert yellow vehicles, and partly because in our local club we had two Aden veterans. One of these vets (11th Hussars I think? Can't recall exactly) supplied me exact details of markings applied to GS Landies, for his troop the colour was all over stone, but he was very specific in stating full gloss, not matt. Some of the pics in this thread seem to back this claim

Edited by G506

Wayne,

I think that the stone (sand) is a good choice if you like and do not know the exact history of your Rover8*FFR . I saw some pictures.

I thought that the basic color for the Rover 8 and 9 of the factory was DBG with galvaniset bumper and etc. on her spotted camouflage (DBG, stone or stone/ ....)? Or am I wrong?

Jarda

Edited by touchwood 2a

Having an EK and an EL Rover 8FFR I may well go for an Aden replica, so to do something a little different.

The note on Gloss finish and not Matt from the Aden Vet is a brilliant piece of factual information.

I painted as3 109FFR Matt before and it didn't keep the weather out to well. , or maybe not as it is a 64 released in 75-76.

I recall Deepcut saying that early 70's vehicles weren't the best for having the B cards saved. EK was released 71 so that may be the wrong side of 70s that threw up a Nil return.

Mind you I haven't tried RLC Museum for the EL yet, so that may answer that one, but the EK will definately be in Aden livery.

Thanks to everyone for input and interest. I will keep the updates flowing on the threads.

Cheers ;)