WW2 RAF Vehicle markings.

David B.

Other than the usual RAF markings/Roundel etc what unit markings would an Austin K2 Ambulance in RAF service carry ?

Would they relate to the Command or Squadron or was there a specific "Medical" marking along the lines of a Maintenance Unit marking.

• 2 weeks later...
Other than the usual RAF markings/Roundel etc what unit markings would an Austin K2 Ambulance in RAF service carry ?

Would they relate to the Command or Squadron or was there a specific "Medical" marking along the lines of a Maintenance Unit marking.

Hi David

Did you get any replies ? as I have just posted a similar thread.

Cheers

Have a look at my similar post "WW2 RAF Ambulance Markings" there are some useful replies.

You may possibly find something in the Wellington Museum in Moreton In Marsh because Enstone was a satellite of the Moreton in Marsh airfield. The curator has also co-written a book about Moreton, of which I have copy somewhere about although I don't recall any useful vehicle pictures,neither for that matter do I remember seeing any in the book "Oxfordshire Airfields in the Second World War 2."

Another thing you could do,if you are local to Enstone ( I can virtually see it) is to go along to the local MVT meeting 4/5 miles away held at the Hook Norton Brewery on the last Thursday of the month. As well as the excellent beer .there are members knowledgeable about local matters and at least one with a WW2 RAF marked vehicle. Someone may be able to help.

David same answer as before Roundal front only UK offside wing, above which should be the Command/Group marking. Genva cross top sides on back. Command /group mark on rear NO roudlon rer. Hospital vehicles would carry the marking of the parent Command /Group. just like any other.

TED