RB44 with Radio body, would it make a good camper?

sas pinkie

Well My girlfreind is starting to tire of camping at shows and started mooting words like "caravan"...... makes me cringe just typing the word....lol

I was wondering with the new onset of RB 44's, would one with a radio body on make a good camper conversion?

I have one of these new fangled liscences, but heard that if I fix the body to the vehicle in a permanent manor then I could register an HGV as a camper and drive it on my existing rubbish liscence.

I like the DAF's but they seem rather large for getting storage for, so wondered on the RB44.

What are they like on deisel?

Can you stand in the back radio body?

How easy to work on and get spares for?

Is there going to be enough room in the radio body to make a 2 berth camper, with bathroom from?

All just ideas at the moment, but I do enjoy my lass coming with me, so thought I better explore all possible options to keep her happy....

I'm no expert, but I'm 99% sure you can't drive an RB44 on a "new" licence, even if it's converted to a camper.

A lot of people seem to think that because a vehicle is converted to a camper then they can drive it on a car licence. This is incorrect. You need the licence due to the weight of the vehicle. As an RB44 is 5 tonnes you won't be able to drive it on a new licence. Once it is converted you can register it as a Motor Caravan. This then means the vehicle is no longer a Private Heavy Goods Vehicle, but a Motor Caravan. This effects the MOT of the vehicle, but not the licence to drive it. All Motor Caravans regardless of size and weight are tested as a Class 4 (Car) MOT. You will still need a C1 licence to drive it as it's registered weight is over 3.5 tonnes MAM.

I was right. Just had a look and found this.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_10037875

Edited by LoggyDriver

Cheers for that.......

It is in direct contrast to what the fella was "telling" me over the weekend, good to see it in writting. I assume as its plated by the manufacturer as MAM, I couldnt get it lowered as a camper. After all dont they actually weigh more like 3 Tonne?

What is involved with a Cat C1?

Is it worth it, IE all my other questions regarding the suitability of an RB 44 as a camper?

Cheers for that.......

It is in direct contrast to what the fella was "telling" me over the weekend, good to see it in writting. I assume as its plated by the manufacturer as MAM, I couldnt get it lowered as a camper. After all dont they actually weigh more like 3 Tonne?

Is it worth it, IE all my other questions regarding the suitability of an RB 44 as a camper?

It just goes to show, take what people say with a pinch of salt until you've seen the facts in writing for yourself.

As far as the RB44 goes. According to the Withams website the unladen weight is 3050Kgs. If you downrated it to 3.5 tonnes then you are only left with 450Kgs before your up to the legal limit. Add two people, the weight of all the kit you have and the conversion and you will be well over.

The only way you are going to do it is either;

A) Book yourself onto a C1 driver training course. I don't know what the price of this would be, but it should be cheaper than a Class C (old Class 2 licence). As you are doing it for private use, then you don't need to do the Driver CPC Qualification. Ask if this can be ommited from the course to save money. If it can't AND the price is similar to a Cat C then you might as well take your C licence. You can then drive any rigid vehicle.

B) Have you looked at buying a Pre 1960 vehicle? The RB44 is still quite a big truck. Not much bigger is a GMC or REO. If you get a Pre 1960 truck such as a 1958 registered REO then you can drive this on a car licence (there are rules as to what you can carry etc for it to remain exempt driving licence and MOT regulations). It would also be MOT exempt and free road tax. But they do 10 MPG, whereas the RB44 is good for about 25 mpg.

Personally speaking I'd love to get an RB44. I love the look of this truck. I've never driven one, but I'm told they are good for 70mph do 25mpg and are a rare site on the rally field. I think it would make a great camper. Withams still have a Desert coloured Box for sale that looks the dogs, but it's top money. They want £7000 + vat for the good ones. If your thinking of spending that amount of money for an RB44 PLUS the cost of getting your licence, then you might as well get a Class 2 HGV licence and buy a Daf for 5 grand.

You need to do some thinking mate. Cheapest option might be to leave the Mrs at home!!:cool2:

Edited by LoggyDriver

Your right... some thinking and saving of funds may be required.

Thing is, like you I do like the look of the RB44, and the reletive ease of living with a HGV that is sort of ecenomical and sort of fast, and small enough to tuck away in a barn......

I think the next step is to find one with a radio body on and ask for a look inside at the next show (overlord, hope there is one there).

I guess to do the Class C1, I first have to do a theroy test and one of those new fangled reactions test..... Do I also need to get a medical as well?

So many things to consider.......;

Your right... some thinking and saving of funds may be required.

Thing is, like you I do like the look of the RB44, and the reletive ease of living with a HGV that is sort of ecenomical and sort of fast, and small enough to tuck away in a barn......

I think the next step is to find one with a radio body on and ask for a look inside at the next show (overlord, hope there is one there).

I guess to do the Class C1, I first have to do a theroy test and one of those new fangled reactions test..... Do I also need to get a medical as well?

So many things to consider.......;

Yes, you will have to do a Theory test. I also think you need to do a Medical as well, not sure though, as a medical might apply to drivers of HGV's over 7.5 tonnes. You will have to look into it. I've had my Class 1 since 1993, so never needed to do all this computer stuff. Work is putting me through my Coach licence, so I guess I'll be doing all this new stuff soon enough.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Didn't the German army employ the follow on vehicle to the VW Camper Van? Still military nato green and small enough to drive on the new licence. Admittedly not an RB44 which is a great vehicle to drive :) but it would save you some pennies.

The flip side to that is that you could drive something bigger at a later date if you took you the driving test.

Decisions decisions up to you.

So whats the difference between C1 and C? I know the obvious that C1 is only up to 7.5 Tonne, but is the test any harder, more expensive ect. I was just thinking that if I am going to do some lessons and a test, why limit myself to C1 if it is a similar test to a C?

Cheers for that.......

Empty weight is a tad over 3 tonnes but the class of vehicle you can drive on a licence depends on its theoretical maximum gross weight which I believe is 7.5 Tonnes (with trailer) for an RB44.

So whats the difference between C1 and C? I know the obvious that C1 is only up to 7.5 Tonne, but is the test any harder, more expensive ect. I was just thinking that if I am going to do some lessons and a test, why limit myself to C1 if it is a similar test to a C?

I'm not sure how they treat the C1 test compaired to the C test. An HGV test is pretty through. It's an extended test of over an hour. It will also include all the training required for the drivers CPC, tachograph and drivers hours law, etc,etc.

If it was me in your position, I would go for the Cat C licence. You will then be able to drive multi axle rigid trucks. By the time you fork out for a C1 then for a few hundred quid more you could have had the Cat C, and that gives you an extra string in your bow. If times change and you get laid off from what ever you do for a living, then you still have your HGV licence to fall back on, provided you keep your CPC in date.