leyland daf drops help

xtreme

Taking my drops for mot tuesday , I am told i am best taking it loaded so I have put a cvrt on it .

question once its loaded is there any way to lock the rack on .?? the multi lift switch above the driver in the cab has several positions is one of these a locked position

thanks dan

Actual locking mechanism . curious to what the switch postions are as I think position 4 looks like a picture of a seat belt and 5 looks like bed with 2 arrows .

The operations for each switch position are as follows;

1. AUTO - normal selection, when used, controls via proximity switches, the action of the rams in both load and unload operations.

2. MAN HA (Manual Hook Arm) - will operate hook arm only, used when an electrical fault occurs, ie proximity switch fails.

3. MAN MF (Manual Main Frame) - as above but main frame rams.

4. MAN TRANS (Manual Transport) -this is used after a manual operation, to de-pressurise the rams.

5. AUX - used when supplying hydraulic power to another DROPS LHS which has failed.

Use switch position 1 to load rack. Continue the load operation until the "no trans" light goes out. This signifies its safe to drive off. Dont drive off with switch in any other position than 0.

See attached image of lhs control panel.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

lhs.pdf

If you are doing this for a brake test there is a much easier way of doing this. there is a load sensing valve i think between the 3rd and 4th axle, you can simulate weight by using a bungee. If that is what you need i will try and get you some pics of how its done. that is a much easier and less fuel consumption way of doing it. Mash.

Pardon me for sticking my big nose in, but I can't help but ask you Dan, as a representative of the UK heavy MV contingent, why you guys use web straps instead of chains for securing an object like that?

I see one of your straps runs through the drive sprocket, so you have fabric over an edge.

I'm very curious as I see loads of UK pictures with vehicles secured with Spanset or other straps.

While we do use rated straps but only with the metal terminations onto a "hard point" not through something.

R

I believe the rating of the securing method used should be twice the weight of the load in a forward direction and 1.5x the weight in a sideways direction.

For the record we use chains on our CVRTs.

I did once get a phone call from a REME friend of mine asking how much a Scimitar weighed. When I enquired why (as he should have known), he said he was picking one up with a DROPS and had forgotten to bring securing chains and only had ratchet straps! I think he used about 12 to get within the required ratings.

You need chains on that load, with additional straps. The load will bounce due to the suspension of the CVRT. This will rub on the straps and could cause a failure. There are specific loading plans for various equipment types loaded onto flat racks. I was a DROPS op for 8 years, we were always given loading cards with a diagram of where the straps/chains need to be fitted for different types of load. Straps in the main are only good for pallitised loads.

Do yourself a favour and get a couple of chains. They are safer and quicker.

We always load CVRTs with 4 chains, 2 crossed over on the front towing eyes and 2 on the rear ones. You can see them move down quite a bit on the suspension as you tighten up the chains.

We always load CVRTs with 4 chains, 2 crossed over on the front towing eyes and 2 on the rear ones. You can see them move down quite a bit on the suspension as you tighten up the chains.

On a wheeled vehicle straps are normally acceptable but on tracked i would not feel safe with anything other than chains. Infact these days I dont feel safe with anything strapped on without chains. My stalwart once stretched some 5 ton strops enough for it to be basically floating free on the back of the truck. Luckily it was in gear and with the hand brake on and I am a very slow driver when loaded but still very very dangerous. I never moved it again without chains...

Taking my drops for mot tuesday , I am told i am best taking it loaded so I have put a cvrt on it .

question once its loaded is there any way to lock the rack on .?? the multi lift switch above the driver in the cab has several positions is one of these a locked position

thanks dan

have you fitted a tacho

I dont think Robin Craig is saying straps are no good but the way they are being used is wrong

eg the strap going over the drive sprocket straps sharp edges (piont loadings)no good. I do agree with using chains on that job would be the easiest simplest solution

have you fitted a tacho

will eventually be fitting a tacho but for my first test I will be using tacho excemtion form .

My chains were at work and need to load the cvrt in the yard so used spanset straps for temp . will have chains on when on the road .

how will you get tacho exemption, its a 1990's vehicle...

Hi Paulob1.

Not all of the drops vehicles were built in the 1990's. At lest 25 were build before scammells shut in 1988. so it might be an early one?.

hope this helps

Clive

Hi Paulob1.

Not all of the drops vehicles were built in the 1990's. At lest 25 were build before scammells shut in 1988. so it might be an early one?.

hope this helps

Clive

Thanks Clive mine is a 1989...so your right...still most of the current regs apply though.It needs a tacho...

Paul

• 1 month later...
How much will one of these carry? Presumeably a saracen would be happy enough on one?

Really nice toys you have by the way,

Also, will a foden carry more?

Cheers

Paul

:)