New paint scheme

markbg

Hi,

I'd like to try this paint scheme on the Fox - Ive used Marcus Glenn paints before particuarly spray which is really good but he doesnt have the type of colour for the light tan coulur on the pic below (the light stone he has is more of a BATUS yellow colour) - does anyone know what colour this is and who might supply it or shall I just go for a commercial paint?

http://www.mod-sales.com/auction/vehicle/related/35643/AFV_432_TRACKED_ARMOURED_PERSONNEL_CARRIER_DIRECT_GOVERNMENT_SALES.htm#

any thoughts?

cheers

Mark B

Yes, exactly as Chris said, what is your provenance for that scheme?

R

Late 1977 we had to collect Saracen ACVs and Rebro Ferrets from Moenchenstrapback. Whilst there I saw a line of Mark 2 Ferrets painted in a scheme remarkably similar to this. On the upper hull was stencilled "BAOR OVERLOAD".

Always intrigued me cos BAOR didn't use this scheme, I cannot imagine they would paint them like this before mag-to-gridding* them and have long wondered whose paint scheme this was.

_____

* Mag to grid, get rid: a standard aide-memoire for remembering how to correct a map bearing to a magnetic bearing (for the compass). Mag to grid: when changing a magnetic (e.g. observed using a compass) bearing to plot on a map, subtract the magnetic variation displayed on the bottom corner of the map. Obviously, the aide-memoire was particular to BAOR at that time: I can imagine that in some other part of the world at some other geological time, the aide-memoire might not hold true.

The sand colour is BS381C shade 361 light stone. I am sure Marcus will be able to supply it. Do you have any photos of Foxes in that scheme?

Chris

Hi,

Not at the moment - apparently the scheme was used but I've no real evidence of this - however I think the scheme looks good...the idea came from complaints last year that theres too many "green" machines so I was looking into other camo schemes that were used on ferrets and could be applied to the Fox

thanks for the info

cheers

Mark B

Hi Mark

Have a better look at the Fox in the cormer of my workshop!

It is still in the original colours when cast from the MOD in 1989 or 1990.

It is sand and black. The sand colour is more 'stone' than the new desert yellow.

I shall eventually get around to repainting it in these colours...and then we shall have 2 on the circuit that are not the usual green.

The protoype Fox is due to be restored to its original DBG.

Incidently... the protoype Fox at Bovingdon is in Berlin brigade urban camoflage block pattern...which it almost certainly never was in service.

There is another Fox in the AFV shed at Rugby that did serve in Germany and has the remains of the original Berlin brigade decal. This one is the usual green and black.

Regards

Jon

Jackson Fox 04.jpg

Could have been faulty paint...but I doubt it. Even where the sun don't shine it's the same, even underneath the black.

The only green on the outside is vegetable...mould or moss!

All the other Foxes I have restored have had quite good Nato green finish both on the surface and for many coats underneath. This one looks like only one or two coats have ever been applied to the hull. There is also so little paint on the mud-wings that they are rotting away. Fortunately I have a spare set of tinwork for this one!

Regards

Jon

Possibly...This is a very early Fox and has not had many of the modifications that are common on all other Foxes I have seen. The rear bins are the early type without external doors. The driver's hatch release has not been modified for internal release mechanism. There are no holes in the hull where the decontamination brackets would have been. The exhaust pipe outside the hull is the solid earlier type.

The paint colour still remains a mystery...on further scraping yesterday it appears that the hull was originally the standard NATO green all over from the factory. Then it was painted all over in black and the stone colured patches were applied on top of the black!

If the stone colour has faded from green it must have been a chemical reaction, as even the drips down the back of the floatation bins have turned the same colour!

Jon