Series 3 paint?

Lucas21

Hi all,

Last night I picked up my new 74 109 Series 3 GS, when I started scraping through the numerous layers of lose paint today I found that at some point it has been completely white which seems to be the first paint after the factory bronze green. At first I thought "interesting, must have been UN or arctic" but then noticed that even the chassis was white as wa the axel. Surely they wouldn't have painted it white to this extent?

Also it seems that at one point she was also completely black? And two different shades of sand.

Anyway any ideas about the all white? or all black? Some kind of primer maybe?

Any info would be much appreciated.

JC

IMAG0164.jpg

Hi,

My lightweight had a yellow/sand coloured primer used on it under it's NATO green. Which was done in service.

Think it's to make the green more green! If you get what I mean!

As for the White, it would have been possible for them to paint every thing on show in White and not just the body, as the black axle casing stand out a mile in the all white surroundings.

Just my take on it!

Cheers

Alex

Hi,

My lightweight had a yellow/sand coloured primer used on it under it's NATO green. Which was done in service.

Think it's to make the green more green! If you get what I mean!

As for the White, it would have been possible for them to paint every thing on show in White and not just the body, as the black axle casing stand out a mile in the all white surroundings.

Just my take on it!

Cheers

Alex

Whereas with UN white ...

I once had the misfortune to stand looking down on a colleague's upside-down Ferret where he had slipped off the track and rolled it in the Troudos Mountains.* I can state with certainty that UN white paint did not reach those parts that were not easily reached. And when I came to slap another layer onto mine the day before the End-of-tour medal parade, I did nothing to extend the white beyond the set precedent.

_____

* No scout car drivers or commanders were harmed during the process.