Morris compression

tim gray

Hi gents,

Been trawling thro the manuals and literature i have but no mention of base line compression to be expected from a healthy engine at standard 82mm bore.

Any body know what is to be expected from a healthy 6cyl morris engine ? Even if its ball park, lots of variables i know can affect the actuall compression reading. Reading in BAR or PSI

fine by me.

If this is a stupid question please feel free to tranfer to " I may be stupid but......" :D

Regards

Tim

The other thing I've never found in a Morris manual but would like to know, is head nut torque settings.

:D Yup i know where your comming from on that one, its almost like its fine when it stops leaking coolant everywhere!!

Cheers for the info and tips so far, will be doing the compression test this weekend so i will let you know what i get out of it. It may be a moot point as it seems to pull well and is not belching out black smoke at idle or even sudden acelleration ( sudden acelleration from a morris?........surely an overstatement :D) At least if i take readings now i can check it each season to keep an eye on things.

One other thing i shall be doing is changing out the gearbox oil, was fine at the start of last season, but when i checked it last weekend i found that it is completely air entrained. Really wierd as ive never seen gear oil do that. If you dip your finger in, its covered in a soufle type of oil. The heat from your hand then makes all the bubbles fiz and burst then normal gear oil drips off yer finger. No sign at all of any emulsifying due to water ingress or contamination.

Any body used the morris lubricants gear oils?

Regards

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

:undecided: Well did the test cold and hot........cold pretty even, some ups and downs but nothing drastic.

Hot it would appear that it is a total bag of spanners, 51psi on No1 , by the time you get to No6 its 97!

What is really weird, and some guru may confirm or deny it, is that it is a very even staged lift cylinder to cylinder 51, 60, 72, 82, 90,97.

The engine is physically raked back to the rear, with a bloody big fan at the front with the main coolant entry/exit to the front, common sense dictates the back end will be the hottest. Is the temp having some sort of effect???

Looking like it may be time to spend some money.

Going to do the hot test again, then once more with a squirt of oil down the plug hole as suggested to day at chatham fair to check and compare the readings.

All comments welcome..........donations freely accepted with thanks :D

Regards

Tim

:undecided: Well did the test cold and hot........cold pretty even, some ups and downs but nothing drastic.

Hot it would appear that it is a total bag of spanners, 51psi on No1 , by the time you get to No6 its 97!

What is really weird, and some guru may confirm or deny it, is that it is a very even staged lift cylinder to cylinder 51, 60, 72, 82, 90,97.

Tim,

Any variation between cylinders of more than 10 psi, indicates a problem, but I suspect the varaition might be in the method of testing perhaps. The throttle should be held wide open while conducting the test.

If overheating had affected the engine, then I would expect the lower figures would be to the rear of the engine.

Tim,

Any variation between cylinders of more than 10 psi, indicates a problem, but I suspect the varaition might be in the method of testing perhaps. The throttle should be held wide open while conducting the test.

If overheating had affected the engine, then I would expect the lower figures would be to the rear of the engine.

Many thanks for the input richard...........i shall redo the comp test and hopefully i shall be consuming "pie, humble, for the use off"

Regards

Tim

Hi Guys,

Did the hot test again this evening, reading 1 thro six in PSI ( throttle fully open this time richard, must read twice and test once in future)

60, 58, 68, 80, 95, 93. Not by any means the most even set of readings....:cry:

On the up side it would make a decent curve on a graph...well sort of :cheesy:

Any comments welcome, on the bright side its not blowing coolant or trailing black smoke.

Regards

Tim

Edited by tim gray
spelling

Hi Guys,

Did the hot test again this evening, reading 1 thro six in PSI ( throttle fully open this time richard, must read twice and test once in future)

60, 58, 68, 80, 95, 93. Not by any means the most even set of readings....:cry:

On the up side it would make a decent curve on a graph...well sort of :cheesy:

Any comments welcome, on the bright side its not blowing coolant or trailing black smoke.

Regards

Tim

Tim,

I went back to the beginning of your thread and note you do not have any real problems with the engine, with that in mind, perhaps you should check that the valve clearance are correct, especially 1, 2 and 3 cylinders, being the lower compresssions, just in case they have tightened up.

Hi Tim

Long time since I heard from you .

You are lucky to have a engine that goes. I've got about 6 of the things, but none of them go .

I'm no expert, but around 90 psi would be normal I think for the OH .

I notice in the manual they recommend decarbing the motor every 5000 miles !

What does that say about dirty wartime petrol.

Mike in OZ

BTW did you get a promotion before you left the army ..I notice your AVATAR says sergeant now !!

Edited by goanna

Hi thier Mike,

How goes it with you? Rank wise with the avatar i believe its a case of i wont shut up!

Just how far gone are your engines? Reason i was compression testing was a basic health check more than any thing. I shall check out the valves as suggested and see what that does. The cylinder head was changed out recently for the correct military pattern, but that was checked out for cracks etc prior to fitting and the lump was also decoked when i did that. No burning to the valves or seats so hopefully its a clearance issue.

I have no history of work to the engine prior to what i have done so its anybodies guess as to what was done. I just wish i had measured the bores etc prior to re fitting the head as that may have indicated something. Could be an idea whilst im earning and can afford it to

get it checked out and standardised on bore, piston, and ring sizes. Ive got the manual with those details in. Bottom end is tight as i checked that out when the sump was off having a scrub out.

Worst case i suppose would be that prior owners or those who originally rescued it did remedial works to the last three cylinders rings etc and did nothing to the front as it appeared ok or funds were tight....strange i know but then who knows.

How goes it with your gun buses, i know from your comments in the past that parts etc are impossible but i was under the impression you had a chassis that was rescuable? Are thier any more out thier for you to pattern against for the rest of it?

Regards

Tim

Tim

I've never forgiven you for pinching that MCC radiator badge from New Zealand . The darn things are so hard to find and you go and steal one from us antipodeans .

I bought another CS8 ..it's coming down from Queensland, only about 1500 miles away . Something like buying a Morris from Wick, Scotland , if you live in Cornwall .

I hope you sort out the PU engine . If the rings are worn, you would at least see some blow by or maybe be using some oil . Have you found any correct size tyres yet ? Still on Land rover wheels ? I spotted the article on your PU in the magazine .

I found another Morris PU , a wreck only good for spares , I bought it but the chap re-sold it . I was too slow picking it up and he got rid of it . Takes all types ... what a BAST>>RD

MIKE