Identification please.

Markheliops

Hi all.

Can someone please identify this variant of FV432 please.

FV43s002.jpg

FV432a.jpg

It was fitted out for bowman but these fittings have been removed.

I'm not really sure if this is a FV436 or other type of variant.

I'm sure someone on here will be able to identify some of the fittings.

Also - the vehicle was VOR OOU.

I know VOR is vehicle of road - but not sure about OOU?

The FV43? has come from Withams and shows 36 miles on the clock.

It looks like it has just come out of the overhaul programme and everything is brand new. The power pack and steering box are both present and new.

The vehicle does not start.

Any info appreciated chaps please.

Markheliops

Edited by Markheliops

I think it's just a plain old 432 - the last half dozen I've seen have all been different to each other inside! Do you have any pics of the interior?

When you say it won't start, does that mean won't turn over or turns over but won't fire?

Andy

I think it's just a plain old 432 - the last half dozen I've seen have all been different to each other inside! Do you have any pics of the interior?

When you say it won't start, does that mean won't turn over or turns over but won't fire?

Andy

Hi Andy.

I don't think it's a normal FV432 -

It has a map boards and table on the left side and a generator switch board on the right hand side next to the air filtration system.

I was thinking it may be a FV436 command unit fitted out for the bowman radio system but not having come across this radio system before I'm not sure.

The framing on the top is also unfamiliar to me. It looks like it housed two generators or power packs.

The rear upper hatch has been replaced by a welded one piece circular armoured plate.

I think the engine turns over but will not start but I didn't try to fiddle so I expect I may be able to get it going when I go back.

Markheliops

Edited by Markheliops

I've seen several variations on that theme, which makes me wonder if there's any real distinction between the 432 and 436 these days. Does it also have an antenna tuning unit of some kind in the bin to the left of the rear door?

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gents:

Following on from my identification thread - here are some more pictures of the vehicle in question after I went back with tool kit, multi-metre and wallet:

As you can see the vehicle is in very good condition.

432Side.jpg

432FrontNS.jpg

432Rear.jpg

432Tracks.jpg

I was informed it was a non-runner but after carrying out some basic checks and giving the batteries a jump with the Chevrolet K5 the power pack burst in to life. It ran and drove like a dream.

432Front.jpg

432Pack.jpg

432Controls.jpg

432Clocks.jpg

432Panel.jpg

The power pack looks very new and shows 57 hours on the clock. This must be one of the lowest mileage FV432's to have been released that I have seen.

432BehindDriver.jpg

432FireExtinguishers.jpg

432InsideLeft.jpg

432InsideRight.jpg

Haven't seen this before - looks like a generator panel that provides 240 volt to a socket.

432Electrics.jpg

432Electrics2.jpg

432Inside.jpg

I had obviously sat on something sharp in the last picture.

All in all I think the vehicle has either been in reserve stock or just come out of re-fit. It was fitted for the Bowman radio system but this has been stripped out before release.

Any information would be appreciated.

Oh and in answer to your question - I came home with my tool kit and multi-metre. Another forum member has a 50% interest in this vehicle as well as my mate Hans - but that is for him to announce.

Many thanks

Markheliops

Edited by Markheliops

I think that's an EW fit 432 judging by the labelling on the distribution panel ("Intercept Cabinet"). It's not one of the command variants I've seen recently, they have a larger desk area that extends all the way down the left-hand side and retain the normal folding bench seats.

Andy

I think that's an EW fit 432 judging by the labelling on the distribution panel ("Intercept Cabinet"). It's not one of the command variants I've seen recently, they have a larger desk area that extends all the way down the left-hand side and retain the normal folding bench seats.

Andy

Hi Andy -

Could you possibly enlighten me mate - what is a EW fit?

Hi Andy -

Not Andy, but... EW = "Electronic Warfare", (later divided into ECM - Electronic Countermeasures, ECCM - Electronic Counter-CounterMeasures, and possibly Radio Deception.)

Intercept receivers for listening to enemy radio signals (radio traffic, radar systems).

Direction finding equipment to locate enemy positions.

Radio (and radar) jamming transmitters to disrupt enemy communications.

Monitoring receivers for listening to your own side's traffic to check everyone is observing proper security procedures.

That sort of thing.

Chris.

Not Andy, but... EW = "Electronic Warfare", (later divided into ECM - Electronic Countermeasures, ECCM - Electronic Counter-CounterMeasures, and possibly Radio Deception.)

Intercept receivers for listening to enemy radio signals (radio traffic, radar systems).

Direction finding equipment to locate enemy positions.

Radio (and radar) jamming transmitters to disrupt enemy communications.

Monitoring receivers for listening to your own side's traffic to check everyone is observing proper security procedures.

That sort of thing.

Chris.

Thanks for that Chris - so is this a role forum members have come across before with FV432 - or do we have an odd bod in our posession.

Thanks for that Chris - so is this a role forum members have come across before with FV432 - or do we have an odd bod in our posession.

There are a couple of people out there with Vampire (radio direction finding stations built into a 101 FC land rover, and I think someone may have a "Bromure" radio jammer outfit.

(For fairly obvious reasons the jammers tend not to be released intact...)

Chris.

Various MOD documents refer to EW equipped 432s, so this isn't an isolated case. Oddly enough though, I've only seen references to Mk 2s in that role, not Mk 2/1s.

Andy

Various MOD documents refer to EW equipped 432s, so this isn't an isolated case. Oddly enough though, I've only seen references to Mk 2s in that role, not Mk 2/1s.

Andy

Thanks for that Andy - if you have any info on them I'd love to see it.

Mark

Where Radio Deception = ESM, Electronic Support Measures? ESM was the third EW measure as I recall it.

• 4 months later...

Hi

I was browsing and happened upon this thread. I used to work in 14SR(EW),specifically on the Bromure and forerunner of the Vampire, namely the Telefunken Telegon 4. I have a few pictures if anyone wants them. I believe they were hardened after I left, these are on a MK.

Rgds

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Andy -

There probably would have been two cabinets each housing 2 Racal 2090 receivers with a Panoramic adaptor above. Examples are on display in R Signals museum and would be used to 'listen in' and pass any interesting info to the analysts, DF or Jammer control.

Rgds

Yer a lucky fella...it looks an absolutely lovely condition vehicle......but that fact alone does baffles me......

Has the Army withdrawn the FV seris vehicle now from use??????

If they have ...fair play to sell them off.......but if they haven't?

Just why is the MOD dumping a vehicle in such good condition as that one?..

I can easily understand flogging off the worn out or broken down ones that are beyond economical repair anymore but....

...... if we're still using them where is the sense in selling good ones off 'cheap'???(in relative comparsion to a new vehicle that is)

I don't think I shall ever understand how the MOD decides to use our hard earned tax pounds........

Yer a lucky fella...it looks an absolutely lovely condition vehicle......but that fact alone does baffles me......

Has the Army withdrawn the FV seris vehicle now from use??????

If they have ...fair play to sell them off.......but if they haven't?

Just why is the MOD dumping a vehicle in such good condition as that one?..

I can easily understand flogging off the worn out or broken down ones that are beyond economical repair anymore but....

...... if we're still using them where is the sense in selling good ones off 'cheap'???(in relative comparsion to a new vehicle that is)

I don't think I shall ever understand how the MOD decides to use our hard earned tax pounds........

They converted a lot to Mk 3, and sold off the rest... even the ones which had been refurbished and placed into storage. Most have been cut up.