Saracen Tyres (tires)

Alaskan

Anyone have any ideas on how to obtain 12 x 20 tires for my Saracen? I haven't even checked with my local tire dealer to see if they are obtainable in the states, but thought I would check here first.

Another question for those that may know:

My understanding is that the gearbox and transfer case of the Saracen share the same fluid base. If so, is there ever any need to fill / top off the fluids from the transfer case, or can all levels be topped off from the gear box?

I noticed that both have dipsticks to check levels, which seems odd if both share the same fludis. Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks

Gear box and transfer box take different fluid types.

here is the results of many threads read anc collated i will put some useful links to materials i based this on. Much of it comes from Richard or Clive.

The gearbox takes OMD70-85 (different manuals give different oils) which in civvi money is SAE30 or 10w/30 is a suitable replacement.

SAE30 is also used in the engine,air filters and pumps.

The Transfer box takes OEP220. EP80W/90 transition fluid, also used in the bevel boxes, tracta joint housing and hubs.

The Fluid Fly Wheel coupling takes OM13 or any ISO15 hydraulic fluid, i have also read of OM10 being used and i suspect it is what is in my ffw. The same fluid can be used in the braking/steering system also.

Yay i think i was helpful.

also PM sent.

Hi Alaskan, welcome to the forum! So, you are also burdened with a beast! I have been busy compiling a Saracen register with pics and registration numbers. Please be so kind to post some pics and the registration number of your Saracen and if you have, that of any other sarrys too for inclusion into the register.

Hi Alaskan, welcome to the forum! So, you are also burdened with a beast! I have been busy compiling a Saracen register with pics and registration numbers. Please be so kind to post some pics and the registration number of your Saracen and if you have, that of any other sarrys too for inclusion into the register.

Hello Montie...

As far as I can tell the Saracen is #416 which I found stamped on a inner pannel in the engine area. I will look for more numbers and let you know. Thanks

Rodney

221934_10150158653628364_163294083363_6830228_6261367_n.jpg

Gear box and transfer box take different fluid types.

here is the results of many threads read anc collated i will put some useful links to materials i based this on. Much of it comes from Richard or Clive.

The gearbox takes OMD70-85 (different manuals give different oils) which in civvi money is SAE30 or 10w/30 is a suitable replacement.

SAE30 is also used in the engine,air filters and pumps.

The Transfer box takes OEP220. EP80W/90 transition fluid, also used in the bevel boxes, tracta joint housing and hubs.

The Fluid Fly Wheel coupling takes OM13 or any ISO15 hydraulic fluid, i have also read of OM10 being used and i suspect it is what is in my ffw. The same fluid can be used in the braking/steering system also.

Yay i think i was helpful.

also PM sent.

Thank you very much... that is a great help

Rodney

Anyone have any ideas on how to obtain 12 x 20 tires for my Saracen? I haven't even checked with my local tire dealer to see if they are obtainable in the states, but thought I would check here first.

Another question for those that may know:

My understanding is that the gearbox and transfer case of the Saracen share the same fluid base. If so, is there ever any need to fill / top off the fluids from the transfer case, or can all levels be topped off from the gear box?

I noticed that both have dipsticks to check levels, which seems odd if both share the same fludis. Sorry for my ignorance. SIMEX TYRES own the moulds for producing the Dunlop Trakgrip 12.00 - 20 tyres as fitted to the saracen, they are like rocking-horse poo to get hold of, well certainly in the UK, at any rate, and when you find decent or new ones, the are incredibly expensive (well usually, unless you get lucky, like I did, and find 6, on wheels, on almost new condition, for £600!, usually the tyres alone go for £300-£500 new!!!!!:shocked:)

SIMEX TYRES, (somewhere near Florida, USA) own the moulds for producing the Dunlop Trakgrip 12.00 - 20 tyres as fitted to the saracen, they are like rocking-horse poo to get hold of, well certainly in the UK, at any rate, and when you find decent or new ones, the are incredibly expensive (well usually, unless you get lucky, like I did, and find 6, on wheels, on almost new condition, for £600!, usually the tyres alone go for £300-£500 new!!!!!:shocked:).... good luck in your search!

Hello Montie...

As far as I can tell the Saracen is #416 which I found stamped on a inner pannel in the engine area. I will look for more numbers and let you know. Thanks

Rodney[ATTACH=CONFIG]44422[/ATTACH]

Hi Rodney, check out this thread re. numbers: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?19375-Saracen-chassis-number...where-is-it...&highlight=saracen+numbers

Thanks for the pic, it does look in good nick, has it been stored undercover or roof?