Bedford tipper (remains of)

Ed Batchelor

Came accross this home made tipper trailer not long ago, judging by the copious amounts of green paint and the odd WD marking (like on the diff) not to mention the tyres I am pretty confident it is ex military. I am guessing that it was a Bedford but can anyone identify the model, and would the body be original? Tipping gear is by Edbro, still has original cab mounted control tucked back inside chassis rail.

It makes a nice tipping trailer but I am always interested in the history of these old things!

SDC13906.jpg

SDC13905.jpg

SDC13907.jpg

SDC13908.jpg

Hi Mate ,

Depending how long it is you could be looking at the remains of a wartime owst tipper perhaps - extensively used by the raf on airfield repairs - These used edbro tipping gear i believe , the maltese still use them! I think they also made an oy or owl tipper or it could be the remains of an o type? - any chassis numbers still left?

Cheers:coffee:

Yes there is a Matador in the background

Its not really short wheelbase like the little ob bedford tippers you sometimes see, but shorter than the olb.

I dont think the chassis has been cut down at all, you can see the old cab mounts, handbrake and part of the front spring hangers.

Where would the chassis number be on this one?

Thanks

Ed

Hello,

The chassis number is generally on the passenger side chassis rail between the step brakets. Looking at the pictures i think it'll be somewhere near the red patch.

I'd agree with glynn, probably an owst, but there were a few OX tippers made. If you could take a measurement from the back axle to the front spring hanger left on the chassis, from that we can work out the wheelbase and that will narrow it down a bit, also a picture of the rear dif might help.

Edited by rippo

Will have a look next friday when I'm down south again. It has "assistor" springs, were these used on wartime vehicles? I have a later 50's ex bedford tipper trailer which has a similar looking axle/spring arrangement but is an underfloor tipper and not military. Shame so many farmers turned what would otherwise be very desirable lorries into interesting but not so desirable trailers. Not so many to be found on farms these days but I havent got much room for many more anyway!