help with humber pig fuel?

martin parke

hi my pig was running ok on the fuel that was already in it when i got it, i put 20 litres of fresh unleaded petrol into one of the tanks, switched the tap to that tank and after a while the engine died out, it wouldnt start again until i switched the tap over to the other tank and then it started up again. i put 40 litres of fresh unleaded fuel into that tank today and same thing happened the engine died after a while, so now i have fresh fuel in both tanks and no running engine, help please is there something i can do like add something to the fuel or something else.

Martin it is not like a Land Rover fuel tap!

When the tap points to the left it is the right hand tank. When the lever points straight ahead it is the left hand tank. :-D

PS So what you thought was fresh fuel wasn't & perhaps you have a lot of this grot fuel still in the system. Despite there being a lot of new fuel in both tanks.

Edited by fv1609

I would slacken the banjo on the fuel line into the carb. Reach down to the lever on the fuel pump & see whether you can pump fuel through.

Be very careful because when you are kneeling on the OS wing leaning down almost head first to reach the fuel pump lever then as you pump it can squirt you in the face from the slackened banjo.

Then that would tell you if you were getting fuel that far or not.

I would slacken the banjo on the fuel line into the carb. Reach down to the lever on the fuel pump & see whether you can pump fuel through.

Be very careful because when you are kneeling on the OS wing leaning down almost head first to reach the fuel pump lever then as you pump it can squirt you in the face from the slackened banjo.

Then that would tell you if you were getting fuel that far or not.

cheers clive, i will have a go at it tomorrow wish me luck,

The reason that the fuel switch seems illogical is that it is laid in the most convenient way from a plumbing point of view.

On the prototype Pigs FV1609 the switch was plumbed so it was more logical but awkward for the pipe layout to the fuel switch. But this was changed to the easier to manufacture arrangement seen in the production Pigs FV1611 & FV1612.

I have a FV1609, during a major rebuild in NI it was re-plumbed to the production arrangement. Unfortunately nobody thought to change the wiring to the switch. So throughout most of its military career, the fuel gauge was measuring the fuel in the tank that was not being used!

I encountered problems when I first got it because despite putting in fresh fuel I was actually sucking up the dregs of very old fuel in the other tank. I later found out from the previous owner that the fuel gauge "didn't work" & he only used the one tank.

As Andy suggested you may be trying to suck up disturbed sediment. The other thing to check is that the bleeder valve & fibre washer is not allowing air in the top of the fuel filter. Also check the fuel filter is not full of sediment. If it is of the original type you can dismantle the element & wash it in clean fuel.

If it has been running then stops, check there is not a blockage in the tank vent pipes. Originally there was a breather pipe coming from each tank then venting out through the armour emerging through a hole directly underneath the antenna mounts.

On NI Pigs this changed, the off side vent travels along the underside of the roof to meet the vent on the near side. From the there is a non-return valve & then out to the antenna mount. In the event of turning over fuel would not be lost through the vent. The valve is a nice habitat for spiders that can cause a blockage.

Also check your oil level & make sure it has not increased in volume by fuel leaking from the fuel pump if the diaphragm has failed.

clive i bow down before you, your advice was 100% correct, i filled the wrong tank with the good fuel the other tank was empty, so i had the tap switched to the empty tank :red:, anyway i took the fuel out again and put it in the empty tank and switched the tap to that tank, and back up and running again, i think the passenger tank may be blocked or bunged up so im sticking with the drivers side tank . thanks again for your help clive.

Martin its a very easy mistake to make, I see you own a Land Rover & one gets conditioned as to how you expect it to be on the Humber.

I had to replace all the fuel plumbing & the dilemma was should I plumb it as it once was & make it original? Or should I simply swap over the wiring on the fuel sensor switch making it wrong but in the same configuration as a production Pig.

At the time I had another Pig & I decided it was best to have them both set up in the same configuration. If I have time one day I might put it back to how it was originally manufactured. Although when I die & my vehicles are sold off some poor person will be scratching his head for a long time before he realises what has happened.

Although if he's not owned a Pig before & used to Land Rovers, then he will automatically feel at home with the switching arrangement as he finds it:cheesy: