I.D a 1908 military related car please?

Stableboy

My wife just found her Grandad's RAC Driving Licence; 24 September 1908 !

CQMS Thomas Massey, 1st Dorset Rgt

Would like to identify the car in the image from the licence, and clarify why his given address is "c/o Officer I/C Motor Class, Southern Coast Defence, Portsmouth". (ie, was this the regional test co-ordinator for the military at the time?)

just putting togther his life of undetected military crime...sorry, 'long service displaying unimpeachable conduct';

alternative query (seems like third one!) - Regt Museum records show him taken pow in 1918, but incorrect as turned himself in wounded after Mons 1914 to protect the French family who nursed him and in fact repatriated via neutral Holland in '18, so have lots of info to sort out..

...where do you turn when even that level of source is incorrect?

Sgt T Massey RAC Drivers Licence 1908 image.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43863[/ATTACH]

My wife just found her Grandad's RAC Driving Licence; 24 September 1908 !

CQMS Thomas Massey, 1st Dorset Rgt

Would like to identify the car in the image from the licence, and clarify why his given address is "c/o Officer I/C Motor Class, Southern Coast Defence, Portsmouth". (ie, was this the regional test co-ordinator for the military at the time?)

just putting togther his life of undetected military crime...sorry, 'long service displaying unimpeachable conduct';

alternative query (seems like third one!) - Regt Museum records show him taken pow in 1918, but incorrect as turned himself in wounded after Mons 1914 to protect the French family who nursed him and in fact repatriated via neutral Holland in '18, so have lots of info to sort out..

...where do you turn when even that level of source is incorrect?

Could be the address is like that to pin down the miscreant, if a modern mil vehicle gets cought out but not stopped they just contact the central issueing authority and they tell them which unit the vehicle belongs to. Instant letter to the MTWO, after that its childs play to find out who was actually driving. :-(

Regards

Tim

Could be the address is like that to pin down the miscreant, if a modern mil vehicle gets cought out but not stopped they just contact the central issueing authority and they tell them which unit the vehicle belongs to. Instant letter to the MTWO, after that its childs play to find out who was actually driving. :-(

Regards

Tim

sounds likely enough, thanks..

re car i.d., wondered if a model T Ford buckboard as so open cab+doesn't seem to be much behind the drivers seat..also hoped that the type and position of headlamp combined with the very low back height of the drivers seat might help i.d.?

The licence allows use of 12-16hp motors, does this help...?

It's not a Model T - they have a very distinctive reverse dished steering wheel. Very different to the one shown.

thanks, one deleted from the list of possibles.....sorry all, this image is as scanned from the licence document and is all that we have to work from..still hoping, and searching internet images...surely at that date and 'through the military' test, the car is likely to have been a service pattern which could be expected to limit the options ....? (Vauxhall, Crossley, why?)