Champ carby exploded view diagram

mazungumagic

I've just disassembled a Champ carby (Solex 40WHNEO/2) and have one part that I can't identify, or to put it another way, there's one part left over when I re-assembled it.

Can anyone provide a legible copy of EMER E024-1 (if I'm reading it correctly) Issue 1 18 Apr 55 page 10.

The page that I have has been over photocopied and the diagram is hard to decipher.

To define the document you'll need to specify the EMER subject eg Power, Wheeled Vehicles etc

Even so E024-1 doesn't ring any bells as an EMER. Are you sure it it a British document & not an Australian one ie an EMEI?

I've just disassembled a Champ carby (Solex 40WHNEO/2) and have one part that I can't identify, or to put it another way, there's one part left over when I re-assembled it.

Can anyone provide a legible copy of EMER E024-1 (if I'm reading it correctly) Issue 1 18 Apr 55 page 10.

The page that I have has been over photocopied and the diagram is hard to decipher.

E024-1? my australian copy showa as E022-1

Thanks for those replies and the diagram - it's much clearer than the one I have, which I've now attached. You can probably see that the original EMER # was D574 wehich has been amended by some one to E024-1 and it is for Wheeled Vehicles. I'm not familiar with the EMER publications and only a little more aware of the EMEIs.

I've also attached a pic of the part in question (on the left of the photo) together with the choke arm for perspective.

I can't see the brass part in the exploded diagram that you sent, FV1609. It may be hiding somewhere.

Appreciate your help.

Champ carby piece.JPG

Champ carby EMER.JPG

Yes, it is holed.

Once I had re-assembled the carby and noticed this left over bit, I took the carby apart again but could not find any suitable location for this stepped collar. It has the two flats on it that you can see in the picture, but no internal or external thread and as I'm sure you'll agree, it doesn't appear to be shown in the exploded diagram.

Another mystery.

I'll try to find a second carby to strip and see if I can find the location/purpose of this part.

Thanks again.

Jack

Jack, does it not have a Solex number stamped on the flat surface? Could you take a picture of that end piece viewing the larger diameter? I only have experience of the B60 but if this has a modest hole as opposed to a tiny jet hole it reminds me of what should fit at the top of the emulsion tube.

Clive,

Thanks for the follow up. I've attached a couple of photos showing both ends - the hole is the same diameter top and bottom. You can see that there is a shoulder above (or below ?) the narrow portion. There are no numbers on the piece.

Tomorrow I'm taking it along with the carby, to a long time Champ owner, who I hope may be able to shed some light on the where the extra bit should go.

Jack

Champ carby small end.JPG

Champ carby large end.JPG

It hasn't fallen out of the bottom of the float has it as it appears to be a collet/ sleeve?

Just an additional deduction as it wouldn't appear to be missing from anything visible unless the float was turned upside down. Definately not a jet part.

It would act as a slide tube / cushion to prevent wear against the float.

Looking at the exploded image in Clives extract a similar item can just be made out.

This is based on the fact that I haven't got a Solex carb in front of me.

I am guessing the float is not plastic like on more modern cars and motorcycles?

Wayne I'm sure you're on the right lines with such a big smooth hole it.

I have a couple of good cross-sectional diagrams, but some things aren't allocated a ref number & a few are but aren't listed.

This single float this moves up & down a shaft, unlike the double floats that rotate about a horizontal axis in B60s etc.

Wayne I'm sure you're on the right lines with such a big smooth hole it.

I have a couple of good cross-sectional diagrams, but some things aren't allocated a ref number & a few are but aren't listed.

This single float this moves up & down a shaft, unlike the double floats that rotate about a horizontal axis in B60s etc.

I would guess as a component it would be with the sliding float and not a seperate item. Therefore possibly no individual reference would apply to the brass sleeve / collet.

If the carb is stripped again it may all become clear if my philosophy is sound!

Its a bush off the accelerator linkage part 58

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43417[/ATTACH]

Damn.......It wasn't suggested that the linkages were affected.....Just during a carb strip, clean and reassemble etc this item was left over. Unless the linkage was affected to remove the Carb??????

That does look like the item though Chris.

I won't get a chocolate biscuit now for cracking the puzzle :-(

Thank you to those of you who helped and particularly to Chrisg, who found the answer in the linkage.

I am starting to assemble a few bits and pieces prior to commencing the restoration of a Champ. I had picked up this carby, which had the first stage of the linkage attached and had completely forgotten what bits were linkage related when I disassembled, cleaned and re-assembled the carby.

It's an embarrassing lesson learnt and I appreciate the help recieved, even though I inadvertently sent you off on a false trail.

Jack

• 2 months later...

Gentlemen, just found this thread and it has provided a bit of information I seek. I am trying to rebuild a Solex WNHPO and have a damaged WNHEO that I am hoping will provide some parts. Can someone provide the item listing from the Champ Parts List for the WNHEO so I can cross-reference with the WNHPO?

Many thanks,

Dave

• 1 year later...

good day Gentlemen. I am new to your thread I have a Austin Champ that I am really battling with the carb on, it will only run on half choke and in doing so it puffs out black smoke. I have replaced the gasket kit with a new one but still it seems to be a problem. would one of you be so kind as to try and assist me with dilema. best regards