UN White Paint

mkVsten

UNFICYP

use any white.. the civi fleet are just as they come from the dealers, and the armoured are just any white that can be sorced at the time. so no paint code.

MINUSTAH

again civi fleet as supplied by the dealers, military kit was/is any shade of white.

both matt or gloss.

OK,

Perhaps a bit of a silly question, but would there be a "Correct" white paint for UN Service? Would the paint have been gloss, semi or matt white?

Have never really seen a thread addressing this.

Cheers

Our UNFICYP Ferrets were gloss white. Well I remember having to paint mine for the medal parade at Nicosia Airport (and spilling the black while I was touching up the registration plate, leading to a late start in the NAAFI bar the night before the parade).

I've often wondered this. I've never noticed any ex mod white paint for vehicles, plenty of green, light stone, black, but not white.

My trailer was painted white with a UN on it when I got it. It was a reme stores trailer and was in Sarajevo. the paint was semi matt, (or semi shiny!), and was terrible to sand down.

I was involved in painting a lot of stuff that went to the former Yugoslavia in the early ninties. It was a very, very "quick and dirty" job. The lights, windscreens, mirrors and glass were all wiped with an oily rag to stop the new paint sticking - no proper masking - and the paint was whatever white could be sourced quickly and cheaply (usually household emulsion) thinned down with petrol and applied in two quick coats.

Everything got painted, even the canvas. The results were suprisingly effective and hardwearing, although the ones painted with emulsion did tend to yellow a bit over time. I helped respray one of these vehicles (a 101" radio truck) back to "standard" some years later and the white was an absolute swine to get off.

All the best, Glen.