humber pig 25BK54

sharky

Afternoon all,

we aquired this humber pig today at work .

unsure if it runs yet as havent had a good look round yet.

Plan is to have her running, driving, repaired, restored and on display soon as.There is a lot of tin work to do but mostly all flats and folds so not to bad a job .

Any one tell me any history or point me in the right direction ?

Many thanks

Iain

25032011196.jpg

25032011191.jpg

25032011193.jpg

25032011192.jpg

Congratulations, I’m sure it will bring you a lot of fun, perhaps a few tears but above all a lot of satisfaction.

I would verify that the ERM is actually correct by looking at the chassis plate with your head to the front of the front nearside wheel. Sometimes Pigs for various reasons have lost lost this plate & an identity is assumed. Sometimes a private owner or film company want it to assume a different identity & choose something else.

Assuming it is 25 BK 54

Serial No. 32554

Engine No. 8344

Built as FV1602

Contract No 6/V/2710

Receipt Voucher No. FTM/R/3248

Delivered to 2nd Vehicle Group RAOC HQ Feltham in Middlesex:

21st B Vehicle Depot Feltham

Converted to FV1612 (ie FFW Pig) In period 1959-60

Operation Bracelet uparmoured & converted to FV1611 (APC role) in period Sept 1972- June 1973

Struck Off Censuss 10/11/80 to 36 Command Workshops

Sent to Queens Division Depot

cheers guys i did notice the witham number and seem to remember it from about 2yr ago it was the lovely tyre paint that caught my eye at the time , i'll be havin a good nosey round her tomorrow as today was my day off so i'll have a look at the data plate etc also i heard tonight that she turns over so thats a good start .

cheers for the welcome to the pig sty (no offence)

iain

• 3 weeks later...

some progrees on the pig , added a battery and jerry rigged a fuel supply and a clean of plugs she fired up nicely

Joe the lad holding the bottle, his family is northern irish and he remarked "do you really trust me with a bottle of petrol around a pig "

27032011208.jpg

Next she was needle gunned and i set to work remaking the wings as they were far to rotten to be saved this was a good one .

14042011038.jpg

14042011035.jpg

14042011036.jpg

14042011033.jpg

14042011034.jpg

14042011037.jpg

Don't think the wings have come out to bad as i have no folders etc they were all cut and folded by hand and hammers. still got the rear wings to make but they will be fitted at a later date .

Next a coat of the old red lead

14042011039.jpg

14042011040.jpg

14042011041.jpg

14042011042.jpg

14042011043.jpg

Brake master cylinder is awaiting a seal kit and carb has been refurbed hopefully test run next week .

Thanks for looking

Iain

Iain

I note that you have not reconstructed the front lockers in the wings. Was there a reason for this.

I know some Pigs have had mock top plates tacked on but not workable lockers?? Just wondered. I guess because they are easier to fabricate.

Good work in short space of time.

Reminds me that I must get a Needle Gun soon!

I note that you have not reconstructed the front lockers in the wings. Was there a reason for this.

I know some Pigs have had mock top plates tacked on but not workable lockers?? Just wondered. I guess because they are easier to fabricate.

Wayne he's just reproducing the wings that the Army fitted when the original wings with lockers got smashed up. Inevitably most Mk 2 Pigs had these later wings, occasionally an old lockered wing would survive eg on the Ambulance that Adam sold recently.

Anyway well done on bending up those wings without folders, they look fine. You seem to be really getting on with things quickly.

Clive.....Thanks for clarity.....That would make my life easier, but I suspect you would never talk to me ever again if I did that to my Mk 1 (ii) :cool2:

Keep up the good work Iain. I am interested how the rear lockers pan out as I did a sketch to dimension up when I get my Pig home to restore soon.

HUMBER PIG SIDE LOCKERS.pdf

Keep up the good work Iain. I am interested how the rear lockers pan out as I did a sketch to dimension up when I get my Pig home to restore soon.

Rear lockers! You wouldn't be expecting to see them on a Mk 2 :D