Reynolds Boughton RB44

odwillys

Hi I'm new to this forum but am interested in Military Vehicles and am considering coming over to Europe in 2014 for D Day celebrations an spending about 3 months traveling around sightseeing with a small group of other like minded Aussies.

We all think it might be a good idea to purchase ex Military Vehicles on arrival and to roughly deck them out to enable us to travel around as a group and live in them, as a lot of us do whilst traveling in Australia and then to export them back to Australia when we leave.

A good British friend of mine whom has recently been out here has suggested that the Reynolds Boughton RB44 would be a suitable suitable for our use and they seem currently to be readilly available and don't appear to be bad unit however some of the info of read on them appears to be very negative which is the reason I'm on this forum today. It would seem that they have a very well respected Perkins Engine with well tested American transmision and driveline which I understand to be similar to that on the Australian built OCCA which certainly has a good record out here.

I would like to request feedback from persons who have had actual experience with these vehicles, either from a drivers or workshop perspective as I am finding it difficult to believe that they could possibly be as bad as some of the reports that Ive read on other forums from people who seem to like knocking anything that they don't own themselves or have never been involved with! Ive seen the same people setting themselves up as experts on Unimogs,G wagons etc when they openly admit under questioning that they have never had anything to do with them.

OK guys hit me with what I need to know.

Best Regards from Down Under

Odwillys

We own an RB44 the braking issues were solved with the parts being rebuilt, replaced or just plain upgraded.

Are RB44 does not swerve to either side under heavy braking I have found it easy to drive especially for the driver who has the comfier of the front seats.:cool2: The passenger seat is a fixed back and is completely none adjustable that might be my only gripe.

Speed wise it goes quite well on the level going up hills it starts to run out of power which means dropping down the box... loss of momentum. Its a good vehicle worth its money proably one of my best buys Military vehicle wise.

Its not something that can be left on the drive at the front its a touch to big for that. Fully loaded it can carry 2000 kg and pull a sankey trailer with ease.

Thanks for the response Andy,it was what I expected to hear in that the early problems had been rectified by the Military as if they were all that bad I cant imagine the Government allowing them to be unleashed into the hands of the general public on public roads, but it proves how difficult it is to shake off the rumor mill once it starts.

Hopefully there are further experienced forum members yet to comment and share their experience with me.

Best Regards

ODWILLYS

I just bought mine a few month ago and I am now waiting for the show season.

But I did approx 800kms in mine and can say that it is far more comfortable to drive than my military 110.

In a few month I can say much more about that.

The problem can be the spares, especially if you are on the other side of this planet.

Uwe

Hi Lee Thanks for the tip. Our intention at this stage is that we will purchase vehicles in the UK or Holland, drive them around Europe for about three months and then likely export them back to Australia in some cases, or simply leave some with friends to sell after our departure.

We are looking to include the 2005 D'Day celebrations so there could be many changes in legislation by then. Another option for some of our group who have no interest in taking a vehicle home may be to purchase something from a collector or dealer on a buy back scheme or like arrangement.

Best Regards Bob K

We've had a few complaints about the brakes, certainly no danger of putting you through the windscreen like our MJ!

Also ours has stopped responding to the engine kill knob so you have to stall it :blush:

Stone

Hi Lee Thanks for the tip. Our intention at this stage is that we will purchase vehicles in the UK or Holland, drive them around Europe for about three months and then likely export them back to Australia in some cases, or simply leave some with friends to sell after our departure.

We are looking to include the 2005 D'Day celebrations so there could be many changes in legislation by then. Another option for some of our group who have no interest in taking a vehicle home may be to purchase something from a collector or dealer on a buy back scheme or like arrangement.

Best Regards Bob K

2005 D Day celebrations?....

Thanks Guys, Ill just have to admit it that DOWNUNDER were apparently around 10 years behind the rest of the world! Weve certainly gone backwards rapidly under the current political regime.

Thanks & keep them coming

Regards Bob K