Bedford MW tires

Great War truck

I don't think you will have any choice as to bead angle. All the currently available tyres are to suit the US style , 5 degree bead angle rim. The wartime British rim is flat bead and is a true 16" diameter. The US style, also Ferret and all modern types, is a 15 3/4" bead diameter hence the problem of fitting modern tyres.

I am currently experimenting with modifying a ToTec supplied MRF to fit a British split rim and the only way I have been able to persuade it to fit is by trimming the tyre beads slightly.

I don't think you will have any choice as to bead angle. All the currently available tyres are to suit the US style , 5 degree bead angle rim. The wartime British rim is flat bead and is a true 16" diameter. The US style, also Ferret and all modern types, is a 15 3/4" bead diameter hence the problem of fitting modern tyres.

I am currently experimenting with modifying a ToTec supplied MRF to fit a British split rim and the only way I have been able to persuade it to fit is by trimming the tyre beads slightly.

How would you trim it evenly all the way around Adrian? As in, what tool would you use to achieve an even, precise, cut?

I had heard all the horror stories about the wrong beads on the wrong rims. I had too put U.S. style tires on British rims and with lots of tire soap, some patience and fiddling it can be done. My rims had been sand blasted and painted so were in good condition and I'm sure that helped. I had an inner tube go bad and thought I was buggered, as I would never get the tire off the rim without damaging it. I was pleasantly surprised that several whacks with a duckbill tire hammer dropped the tire off the rim.

I experimented with a jigsaw when I had to fit the Morris tyres, woked fine as they have a tube in anyway. If you speak very nicely to Retriever on here (Gordon), I think you will find he works at Vass, also worth mentioning that you are an MVT member. He will do you a good deal Im sure.