Mark 2 humber flying pig restoration pics:

martin parke

HI FOLKS I THOUGHT I WOULD START A WEE THREAD SHOWING SOME PICS OF THE WORK IM CURRENTLY DOING ON MY PIG.

firstly an angel disguised as a postman arrived with this from milweb :-):-)

IMAG0717.jpg?t=1300748025

removed the cover and cleaned all the contacts

IMAG0688.jpg?t=1300748292

cleaned the end of the rotar arm and checked the points were opening ok

IMAG0689.jpg?t=1300748408

removed and cleaned the spark plugs

IMAG0694.jpg?t=1300748291

put everything back together and fresh fuel added, started up and runnning fine after sitting for over a year, will probably replace the plugs with new ones.

interior completely removed

IMAG0699.jpg?t=1300749343

IMAG0701.jpg?t=1300749424

roof sanded and primed for painting

IMAG0704.jpg?t=1300749596

thanks dan im kinda putting in overtime on it to get it ready for a show at the end off may, doing wee bits during lunch and evenings and thanks wayne the tape was just the business no heavy rain yet, fingers crossed hopefully it should be grand

passenger seat frame removed

IMAG0714.jpg?t=1300907081

battery boxes removed and in surprisingly good condition

IMAG0715.jpg?t=1300907081

floor cleaned and painted

IMAG0724.jpg?t=1300907081

IMAG0725.jpg?t=1300907272

IMAG0726.jpg?t=1300907272

passenger seat frame and battery boxes painted and ready to go back in

IMAG0730.jpg?t=1300907272

realy nice surprise when i started to clean the paint on the lids of the battery boxes , brass plates with battery info on them ..

IMAG0727.jpg?t=1300907947

seats refurbed and back in

IMAG0732.jpg?t=1300907272

IMAG0733.jpg?t=1300907272

Edited by martin parke

but both have carry handles!

Wayne I think the reason is that you have proper Humber boxes whereas Martin has Ferret ones.

The crucial difference is that the Humber boxes have few holes which is important for wading preparation. Whereas the holey Ferret ones are better protected from water ingress being inside the hull.

Humber lids have handles, a rectangular pressing around the edge & a rubber lining. Ferret lids are secured by 2 bolts on one end & a single bolt the other, there are strengthened by a X shaped pressing & don't have the lining.

Some nice Ferret NOS boxes:)

DSCF5665.jpg

DSCF5664.jpg

Martin there is no disgrace in having the 'wrong' boxes. That's what your vehicle was no doubt fitted with in service & a large number of Mk 2 Pigs actually had Ferret battery boxes fitted when the originals corroded away at their bases.

Another TQ for you Clive.

I note that the seat frame for the commanders seat on mine is green and the photos from Martin's Pig show silver.

Is there a correct colour or would these vary in service like the battery boxes? ;)

Wayne that's not fair bowling me a googly when I'm trying to show off.

Battery box colour is something I'm trying to wrestle with at the moment. My Pig has the incorrect Ferret boxes fitted which I am attempting to address. I have two Humber boxes that have only a single coat of paint from new. But the problem is that one is DBG & the other black!

Although anyone with a Pig in service for a while could quite reasonably paint them in aluminium. My problem is that mine only saw 2 years Army service as a trials vehicle & I feel the boxes should be as originally intended as a FV1609.

My instincts make me lean to black. Early Mk 1 pics suggest black & indeed some very early B Series engines were black & so were the ancillaries. Earlier UHBs of various vehicles often show some items still in black where they have not had rebuilt components fitted.

Pictures of inside FV1609s show they were not painted aluminium but what looks likely to be green, so DBG I assume.

Early Mk 1 pics show probably black battery boxes, aluminium passenger seat lower frame in aluminium but the seat frame for the canvas in probably green - matching the driver's seat frame.

To add to my conundrum RUC Pigs were painted white internally, but how far should I extended that? Should the gear box tunnel be white or should it be aluminium or DBG as it looks in an early development photo?

Wayne that's not fair bowling me a googly when I'm trying to show off.

Battery box colour is something I'm trying to wrestle with at the moment. My Pig has the incorrect Ferret boxes fitted which I am attempting to address. I have two Humber boxes that have only a single coat of paint from new. But the problem is that one is DBG & the other black!

Although anyone with a Pig in service for a while could quite reasonably paint them in aluminium. My problem is that mine only saw 2 years Army service as a trials vehicle & I feel the boxes should be as originally intended as a FV1609.

My instincts make me lean to black. Early Mk 1 pics suggest black & indeed some very early B Series engines were black & so were the ancillaries. Earlier UHBs of various vehicles often show some items still in black where they have not had rebuilt components fitted.

Pictures of inside FV1609s show they were not painted aluminium but what looks likely to be green, so DBG I assume.

Early Mk 1 pics show probably black battery boxes, aluminium passenger seat lower frame in aluminium but the seat frame for the canvas in probably green - matching the driver's seat frame.

To add to my conundrum RUC Pigs were painted white internally, but how far should I extended that? Should the gear box tunnel be white or should it be aluminium or DBG as it looks in an early development photo?

That was a real googly as I was asking about seat frame colours not battery boxes, but that saves me typing the next googly question :cool2:

Thorough answer as always............:bow::wave:

should i keep my boxes green or paint them silver, or did they just paint them with what ever was at hand?

On a Mk 2 they would have been painted silver, well its actually powdered aluminium & is a covering that is supposedly flame retardant. Given the particular role you can see the value of that sort of protection.

Some people use silver paint & in particular smooth Hammerite. But it tends to look too shiny never looks very convincing to me. The real stuff can be obtained.

As this 'paint' was not to be used with a primer, which in itself could be flammable, it was paint directly onto bare metal. Sometimes it tended to flake & reveal odd rust spots starting, a feature that was entirely authentic. It was easy to create slightly irregular patches of finish if the brush direction changed. But painted over rust patches & blotchy paintwork look more realistic than the smooth uniformity of a showroom finish.

Although one could argue they might be new replacements just obtained from stores. But in that case being Ferret ones they would be black (see picture). But I would just slap some of the aluminium stuff over the green paintwork.

Yes and no sitting down until it is really really dry!

Re: glue inside the roof. Have you got the original vinyl covered foam padding?

I think mine went to Wilson. If you do put some up again rather than use normal foam, for that sort of thing a sheet of camping roll is nice & firm. Often you can buy damaged roles quite cheaply from dealers who find it unsaleable when damaged. Normal foam easily goes floppy & messy once covered with glue.

The vinyl covering is beige Dunlop TRAKMARK. Very expensive to buy but chandlery stores often have it. I was lucky & found a boat builder who used it in some sort of racing yachts. There were some quite useful off-cuts that were very cheap.