Heavy load

warrior

Beast and a half that one. I take it the end with the cage round it is the front??

Thats bar armour, used to protect against RPG's. Looks like a very heavily armoured cab, possibly due for a holiday some where warm??

Hi All

yes the able weighs nearly 40 tons kitted out , but still very good cross country, its 8x8, diff locked front to back and across

turning circle is pretty crap though, its caught me out a couple of times driving on public roads around the black country , here's a pic of the first stage of a bridge launch , 56m ,a bit of a load on those rails what!:)

malaysia 2011 018.jpg

Because the far or "AWAY" side (for those Gun Run fanatics) is not down on the ground it looks dramatic.

Once the far side gets on the ground the beam is "relieved" and then the components get taken across on it.

Think some kid who grew up with meccano on the drawing room floor figured out this one.

There is a video of it deploying somewhere if my memory serves me right.

Ah yes here you go kids:-

R

Edited by robin craig
video link added

I watched the video, including the nice little man!.

The filming shots show about the bridge but not to the front of the main truck. To have 56m of arm extended out initially I would have assumed some counter weight was attached to front of the truck to cover those forces.

Also the support on the far side appears quite light in construction to also carry the bridge weight in the sliding transport mode, but then the design works, and I"m not paying the 3 million for it.

Still a remarkable piece of engineering to allow it to be assembled up so rapidly

Doug

The answer is no, there no counter balance on the front of the truck. there is structure called the slide frame which extends out on a rack and pinion gear drive to nearly the length of the truck again the two hydraulic stabilizers come down ,also the crane behind the cab acts as counter balance, here is another pic of the bridge going out :laugh:

bridge build.jpg

Thank for that warrior. I saw the legs out the back but did not realise the length to which the frame extended out from the chassis. Any idea as to the weight of the bridge? The stresses and dynamics on the beam and truck would be high.

Doug