Landrover Gearbox prefix 17C - shoreland LR?

Finn

Hi Guys,

some time ago I have bought several gearboxes at withams.

I have been told it would be lt95 for the early 110 v8, stage one and RRC.

Having sold one of these, it turns out that it does NOT fit the early RRC.

Gearbox NR: 17C00069A

I cannot find ANYTHING about this nr on in my documentation nor on the internet.

You guys are my last hope :)

Cheers,

Finn

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

The main box casing - give it a scratch , it may be black paint (giving impression of procedure for cast iron finish). If it is alloy - then probably a Santana LT85 , there were design changes to casing single/two part and I think the last ones had the reinforcement ribbing (same was the last Series 3 "Suffix K" boxes than Santana manufactured).

Don't think it is a R380 or LT77 type.

The FRC 8252 - probably just a number allocated to a reconditioned unit covered by Land Rover warrenty from franchise dealership - so you won't find it it parts books, or a Unit part No. allocated to a specific Solihull supplied military recondition contract..

Edited by ruxy
spelling

Hi Guys,

some time ago I have bought several gearboxes at withams.

I have been told it would be lt95 for the early 110 v8, stage one and RRC.

Having sold one of these, it turns out that it does NOT fit the early RRC.

]

It sure looks like the early 4 speed classic RR box also in 109/110 v8, and 101" if you changed the bellhousing and spigot shaft,.. why won't it fit ?

Edited by Nick Johns

It's not 101, they were prefixed 956 and ABRO wouldn't be re-coning them in 93. The bellhousing looks too long as well. Only thing I can find is an old post on Landyzone where someone was asking about a 17C LT95 in a 110 built on a military chassis assumed to be Shorland.

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f31/lt95-gearbox-info-19748.html

ABRO wouldn't have been doing boxes for the RUC made variations on armoured 110s would they?

FRC 8252 from the NSN is the clue. It is a Land Rover gearbox unit number - defo. But it seems to me , not a new part number , these gearboxes have gone through Land Rover but were probably reconditioned by a contractor. If they had gone to a contractor via. ABRO or done by ABRO then they would not have a FRC number. If there were two contractors then there would be another FRC No. for reasons of traceability.. Possibly the contractor should have XXX out all previous identity brandings (the plate affixed is what matters) - but they don't always do it , you now can't trust any branding on the castings.. The contractor would have had free issue of old gearboxes and new components, but if there were damaged casings - he would source from anywhere and charge for extra work / materials..

ABRO or other contractors would have been reconditioning in 1993 , 101" were being demobed in droves in 1993 but contracts would have been placed well in advance and would not be cancelled..

Sorry for responding just now.. I had been away for 2 days.

The guy I have sold the gearbox to mailed me that it doesn't fit. He told me that he couldn't just change some parts because they where made out of / worked into the cast iron.

I don't remember right, because I have, accidentally deleted the mail after reading it once. I will ask him tomorrow.

Here is a picture of the dataplate of the second 17c gearbox:

6605527vcq.jpg

What does the I.O. No. mean?

Cheers,

Finn

Edited by Finn

The gearbox looks to be from a 110" V8 SAS/ARMOURED CAR with the big front propshaft flange and larger hand brake. The gearbox will fit a 4 speed Classic Range Rover if the output flange and shaft and handbrake are changed.To fit a 101" the bellhousing and spigot shaft will need to be changed, also the transfer box ratio is different to the 101" Part number FRC8252 I think these are ex Hereford vehicles stock.