Help with ferret mk1 fluid flywheel !

signalcorps

Please help with a Spanish Ferret mk1!

Help! I need to replace the fluid flywheel retainer as the hydraulic fluid leaks out.

Is it possible to change the oil seal shifting gearbox forward? Is it necessary to completely remove the engine?

thanks for your help and sorry for my English

Vicente

Madrid.

you do not need to remove the engine

it is very possible to shift the gearbox forward but be careful not to crush any of the pipework (especially the brake pipe) running underneath it

As it is a Mk1 it will be much easier if you have a crane because lining up the drive shaft when reassembling can be awkward

Thanks to all especially to you Andy. Before making such heavy work needed to be sure you do.

Other questions: What is the weight of the gearbox? and especially what amount of SAE10 need?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42839[/ATTACH]

No sweat Mr Grumpy here recommends buying at least 20 litres of SAE 30 which should be enough to change the oil in the Gearbox, Engine and the Air filter.

If you look at the very bottom of this page you will find a diagram of what fluid goes where and how much fluid to use.

http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/useful_info.htm

I am not sure of the exact weight of the gearbox , but I was able to remove lift mine with a basic engine crane , it just had enough height to remove the gearbox completely from the ferret.

It is probably easy for you to take the gearbox right out of the vehicle and then you will have plenty of room to work.

Jim

Thanks to all especially to you Andy. Before making such heavy work needed to be sure you do.

Other questions: What is the weight of the gearbox? and especially what amount of SAE10 need?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42839[/ATTACH]

DSCN7308.jpg

DSCN7309.jpg

DSCN7310.jpg

I take it that as the unit is lifted up that you must have stopped at different stages to use supports underneath or across the hatches to allow you to shorten the lift chain as it is long in the first lift and missing in the final photo ?

I take it that as the unit is lifted up that you must have stopped at different stages to use supports underneath or across the hatches to allow you to shorten the lift chain as it is long in the first lift and missing in the final photo ?

Suspect a nice plastic beer crate could be used to increase the height.

If you lift up the gearbox to the height that Jim has make sure that the ground underneath is solid concrete and not tarmac. The higher the lift the more unsafe it becomes with a heavy load.

That small fabrication was an add on from the previous owner - It has now been added off !

Yes that my Dad, AKA Foreman , Safety Rep, Time and Motion expert and doom sayer.

Actually he is a great guy, ex REME and was very interested! (And he never receives anything but Tea...)

Oi!

ref last picture

what is that small fabricated item on rear vertical armour where the licence plate light should be???

Is that the shop foreman inspecting your work or unpaid assistant or you?

R

Yes - Well spotted .. I should have added that in to the explanation. I had to take several "Bites" at it :-)

Yes - dead right - Its a heavy bleeder !

Suspect a nice plastic beer crate could be used to increase the height.

If you lift up the gearbox to the height that Jim has make sure that the ground underneath is solid concrete and not tarmac. The higher the lift the more unsafe it becomes with a heavy load.