Update on Cornwall pig

stalwart

Well, thanks to assistance from Martin and Clive I have located the chassis number and can confirm that it does support the reg 32 BK 06 which apparently belongs to a Mk 2 squirt.

Whoever restored it did so to reflect how it would have looked as a Mk1 which suits me as they are obviously easier to live with !

Do not expect to see it on the rally circuit this year as I have plenty of other projects to be getting on with but, I will do what I can. Immediate needs are

a) Complete exhaust.

b) Pair of windscreens

c) tracta joint rubber bellows.

d) transmission tunnel cover.

e) fuel tank mesh guard.

Just for starters, wish me luck !

Just sold out of 'a' & 'c.

I might have a pair of 'b'

I definitely do have a pair of 'e'

I think there are probably many Humber watchers apart from me who are bursting with curiosity for some pictures. So as many pictures as you can of as much as you can to see what details can be identified.

David just found them. I've never bothered looking in the gallery/album area before.

I can see the effects of the sea air. Have you got a picture of the engine bay? I'm hoping that your Generator Panel is in the engine bay NS front as it is missing from the central position in the cab just forward of the gear stick. It would have been moved to the engine bay when it was uparmoured to a Mk 2 as it would have been in the way of the scuttle armour in the cab.

I have a NOS roof canvas, but it needs the roof rail being fitted to lift the canvas an inch or so above the armour. That was to give a layer of air to reduce the temperature in the tropics. You also need that gap to allow adequate drying of the canvas.

I also have a NOS canvas seat base for passenger & NOS padded driver's seat.

Clive,

The pig was quite far inland so sea air was not a problem but it was in a very exposed position which I suspect did not help. I will have a look in the engine bay, not easy as all the hinges on all the panels and doors are partly seized, they are soaking in WD40 at the moment. The tilt canvas has survived quite well I think that it will clean up, there are no roof rails. I am interested in the seats and tank guard though.

David :-\

stalwart@blueyonder.co.uk

Just looked at your album and parts of the vehicle were definately North facing with all that algae!

Noticed the Jerry can holders missing off the back doors unless there were not on an FV1612?? Clive will correct me.

At least your side lockers are intact buddy. Gr8 to see another salvaged from the torch.

I echo Clive's remark on sharing the progress and photos, which I must do also.

I have been spending more time aquiring parts than anything else.

Regards

Noticed the Jerry can holders missing off the back doors unless there were not on an FV1612?? Clive will correct me.
Wayne you are correct all Mk 1 Pigs should have them.

I have been spending more time aquiring parts than anything else.
Hmm like growing an extra pair of hands? You're going to need them when you get all your stuff home.:D

Clive

I will need an extra everything when I get them all home. At least I have a little helper growing up really quickly.

What's the earliest age that a boy should get his first socket set and learn to weld. He is One on Thursday.

He already is aware of Army Trucks and Rovers......He will learn the specific words all in good time my friends.......I have a cunning plan that will ensure his mother allows (our) the Sons toy chest to grow. :clap::clap:

Wayne, no socket set yet? I think you're holding the lad back. I assume he has learnt his alphabet correctly.

A is for AESP

B is for Series

C is for Catalogue of Army Ordnance Stores

D is for Domestic Management Code

E is for EMER

F is for Fiching

etc

Good edacation is everyfing nowerdays

I am pleased to say that the Jerry can holders were lying in the back along with the battery box tops, side door window hatch covers, two car tyres and a birds nest !

The toolboxes and front wings need some tidying. Whoever refitted the toolboxes attached the wheel cover plates with rivets which looks strange on an armoured vehicle. I am intrigued to know the function of the carrier in front of the drivers side toolbox, in addition to a Jerry can holder it has a threaded spindle sticking out which looks like it was a spare wheel holder ?

His big sister has bought him a plastic baby safe tool set.

So he is on his way with drill, hammer and screwdrivers.

I am dissapointed you didn't get to 'Zee'....Tut Tut :nono:

And it's not for 'Zeebra' as all his sound books keep telling me. It's a God Dam 'Zebra' I tell them!

Yes it is the one mentioned in the devon MVT email. It caught me at a weak moment. If you mention those immortal words " its going for scrap if " I am hooked.

A Saracen owner in Devon that has to be worth a look !

I am intrigued to know the function of the carrier in front of the drivers side toolbox, in addition to a Jerry can holder it has a threaded spindle sticking out which looks like it was a spare wheel holder ?

There should be 3 vertical bars on those studs each side between the rear locker & the front doors. They were for unit adaptations eg tools, oil cans, extra jerrycans etc

I can't see it too well but I think it might have been for a pick axe head. You don't need to carry a spare with runflats.

There should be 3 vertical bars on those studs each side between the rear locker & the front doors. They were for unit adaptations eg tools, oil cans, extra jerrycans etc

I can't see it too well but I think it might have been for a pick axe head. You don't need to carry a spare with runflats.

In addition to Clives comment. See attached for info

IMAG0076.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

FV1611A_funny arm on front nearside.jpg

IMAG0436.jpg

Yes Clive, I am aware that the pig does not carry a spare I was just comparing the attachment with a type that holds a spare, although it is actually slightly larger. The rusty twisted metal to the left is the remains of a can holder

DSCF1013.jpg

DSCF1015.jpg

DSCF1014.jpg

Oh great something else to collect then !

Not really, I've got quite a few Pig pics here, not one in-service Pig has a pioneer kit fitted. I have several views of privately owned Pigs that sport various brackets fashioned on those vertical slats.

It is always possible that a particular unit could choose to do that as the slats were there for whatever might be required. The oil can holder was installed there on manufacture as was the 3rd jerrycan holder on the slats the other side.

What I'm getting at is that there was no specific pioneer kit bracket that was a demandable item.

Yes it is the one mentioned in the devon MVT email. It caught me at a weak moment. If you mention those immortal words " its going for scrap if " I am hooked.

A Saracen owner in Devon that has to be worth a look !

Yes, I'm just up the road, pop over sometime, pm me for tel no. if you're around.

BTW, I've got an old FL6 chassis and a rayburn in the field...... its going for scrap if...................:)

Cheers

Paul