Armoured cars

m606paz

There is agood possibility that my Father-in-Law could be driving one of the vehicles. He was in the RAF as a Driver in the Desert at the time and he had some photos of these Armoured Cars. Unfortunately he has passed on now, so I cannot ask him.

Are there anymore photos of the RAF Armoured Cars?

• 6 months later...

Hi just found this thread i am building a copy of these Armoured cars i have posted a photo of sume cars on railway cars i have more photos of the cars that i have collected from the internet. Bill :cheesy:

18621v.jpg

THe RAF Fordsons are No 2 Armoured car Sqn attached to 11 Hussars as D sqn. the RAF RR car is Ramalah and all the army shots are 11 hussars. most are from the library of congress and are Palestine . Its easy to google then do searches using Palestine Armoured cars etc loads of british army stuff from thaty era

Hi Bill, a great piece of film, but its slightly misleading re the Fordsons;

The RAF Armoured car companies were formed in the Middle East in 1921, The were crewed by a variety of trades. No 1 & No 2 are the most widely reported.

THe Fordson film was taken to celebrate and record the taking of Fort Rutbah in june 1941.

The RAF Regt was formed in Feb 1942, it was initially composed of men in the trade of ground gunner who had provided the close ground defence and light AA defence of aerodromes, The RAF Regiment greatly expanded and were even employed in an anti tank role in Italy ; However the Armoured Car Companies in the Middle East were never part of the RAF Regt during WW2, they remained an RAF assett not one of the Regt which was a seperate Corp within the RAF.

It was not until 1946 and 1947 when No 1 & 2 ACC were absorbed into the Regt- much to the anger of its members who at the end of hostilities had been promised that the Middle East Armoured car companies would remain outside Regt control. I am about to embark on modelling a Fordson and then a RR, but which one of the dozen RAF versions ??????

regards,

TED

Hi Ted thanks for the info as a ex army man I am not two clued up about the RAF but I was glad of the history off the regiment as I hope to take my car to some shows next year.

I was wondering if you who’d know what sort of kit and uniforms the armoured cars crew had and also what weapons’ they had. Bill:-)