Landie 109 Rear Axles

Rangie

With the Army's general insistence on commonality, having Rover diffs front and rear (albeit with reinforcing plates on the rear axle), how long did the diff last in-service?

With a 109 GS, I could not see it being too overloaded the majority of the time and would expect it to last a fair while.

At the other end of the scale, is the likes of a Marshall Ambulance. At 2.7 tonnes ULW and up to 3.4 with casualties, the Rover axle must put up with some abuse being driven as hard as possible, usually in 2WD (albeit not very fast 45/50mph on the flat)!!

Were the army continually changing differentials, or (and I am of the opinion), the rover diff is a damn sight stronger than people give it credit for??

I have many years experience of using/owning/running/abusing/occasionally modifying landies and rangies and have yet to burst a Rover diff..............:D

Alec.

Were the 109s not equipped with the Salisbury rear axle as standard, certainly on the series 3? These are very hard to break. I believe the series 2 and 2a 109s had rover rear axles to match the front but I could be wrong. I've just removed a rover rear axle in VGC from my own 2a to fit a Salisbury for the new Tdi engine if anyone needs one. daz

There were threetypes of axle available on series Land Rovers. Rover, two types, E.N.V. and Sailsbury. Rover diffs do go realativly often, and are quite easy to replace. They go through the front. Sailsbury are very strong, thankfully, they need a special spreader to strech the back of the diff housing for replacement.

Mil ones yes.

IIRC civvy ones got them around 1980.

Mike

Not disputing that Mike, but a civvy 1977 109 I had had a Salisbury on the back. Possibly to deal with the formidable power of the 2.25 diesel....:rofl:Could have been retrofitted as anythings possible with a Landy :nut:

Edited by daz76

1981 still with Rover axle.

would there have been a different requirement for different vehicles Tony? ie would vehicles perceived to have "lighter duty" roles have been equipped with the Rover axle and vice versa for the Salisbury? I didn't know the Rover axle was still being used in '81 on LWB vehicles so I've learned something today!

JUst mentioning what I learned when getting parts from a local Land Rover parts supplier.

Non of the pre 1980 (I believe this was the date mentioned) parts fitted. When I went back and spoke to the old bloke it was down to it being a Salisbury Axle. Before this date they were generally only fitted to Mil spec and the 1 Ton trucks.

Does not mean they were not on before or not on after.

After all I work with somebody who has a friend with a 2008 Rover 75 Estate, but thats another story.

Mike

PS Tryiing to work from memory here and have been on the wine.

Bear in mind the number of specifications Land Rover did! Before the yuppy design crew got hold of them.

I think they invented a new specification to suit each assembly error:-)

Now it is just a basic vehicle with optional bling packs.

Then you get the after market Blinging on top.

Should have taken a picture of the 2 Range Rovers at Donnington Park in 2007 that were piped beyond believe and had about 3 inches of ground clearance.

Mike

Agreed. The one basic platform approach seems to have been lost even on the Defender to some extent. I can't help feeling more attached to the older landies I've owned which have all had a basic mechanical set up (and in this I include the first Discoveries) which in turn are more easily fixable, even if it is only a 'get you home' repair. They're not perfect I know but you get an intimate knowledge of the workings of the vehicle. The series 2 Discovery I just bought is still reasonably simple mechanically, but with all manner of electical/hydraulic systems bolted on. It's far and away a better car on road and for family use but I find myself being a lot more careful with it as I perceive it to be a bit more fragile than anything else I've had, although the family heritage is clear in that the sunroof still leaks....don't you love 'em? Wouldn't drive anything else! Sorry got off topic somewhat

The Salisbury back axle was an option on the LWB IIA from 1971 and was standard on ALL Series III 109s (except One Ton which had ENVs). If it was an '81 109 with a Rover axle it wasn't built like that.

Daz, nothing to afraid of with the modern Land Rover, I have a Td5 110 and it's no harder to maintain and as reliable as an old one (ie has all the same foibles and faults!). To talk to the ECUs get yourself a Nanocom Evolution or Bearmach Hawkeye, both work on D2.

The Salisbury back axle was an option on the LWB IIA from 1971 and was standard on ALL Series III 109s (except One Ton which had ENVs). If it was an '81 109 with a Rover axle it wasn't built like that.

Daz, nothing to afraid of with the modern Land Rover, I have a Td5 110 and it's no harder to maintain and as reliable as an old one (ie has all the same foibles and faults!). To talk to the ECUs get yourself a Nanocom Evolution or Bearmach Hawkeye, both work on D2.

Thanks Sean I'll look into it :tup::