Land rover 1/2 ton VPK

Chubbster

Hello,

My land rover spent a few years of it's life in NI in the 39th infantry brigade.

So just out of interest.....

Has anyone got any more info/manual on the kit? Fitting info etc.

I know the kits are no longer about but there must be so info out there!

Cheers

Alex

Hello,

My land rover spent a few years of it's life in NI in the 39th infantry brigade.

So just out of interest.....

I know the kits are no longer about but there must be so info out there!

Cheers

Alex

Hi Alex,

It must be about 33 years ago when I was fitting these kits, to various models of Land Rover, Bedford MK and RL. The instructions were not in EMER's and were very poorly illustrated from memory. Basically, once you had done one, it did not require to be read again. Guess someone may have a copy though.

Martin, good thinking

Robin, it's 41 KC 34

In NI from 1986 till 1990. As the 90/110 was about from 1984 I don't think it would have seen much use, but it has the holes in the correct places to suggests a VPK being fitted.

Cheers

Alex

It is covered in EMER WHEELED VEHICLES Q 025/13 Installation Instruction No.6. The roll-over bar (Culvert mine) protection kit fitted underneath is covered in Inst Instr No.5

Don't regard holes in body as VPK certainty , the best positive ID hole is at the rear of the tub where the lowertail-gate rubber seal normally sits, this is for the centre-parting doors shot-bolt securing.

Axles - look for AEON hollew rubber spring cups welded on top of axle at normal buffering position , some also had them on the front axle.

You may find a modification to the axle straps - like this , (I am not convinced by the usefulness) :-

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

--------------------------

This shows 85 KB 04 Cargo. typical positions of holes blanked with hex. sets (sometimes big pop-rivets or grommets) :-

IMG_0393.jpg

I also have FFR 52 HG 33

The strange thing with both is that they had new tail-gate assemblies when released BUT nobody had bothered to order & fit new galv. cappings to the upper section or fit gardening tool bracketry.

Many VPK never hit the streets of NI , they were held in reserve.

AFAIK the only VPK released to civvy life was to MJC and this is now back to NI.

IIRC some kits were sold to security organisations in Norway or Sweden ??

Apparently the rest (LIGHTWEIGHT 1/2 ton) were smashed in a pit with a JCB & then fired.

If you are keen , from photographs available , the hop-sack weave effect can be reproduced easy with the correct glass & resin , so start building the moulds but don't lay them up so thick (other than at the edges) - apparently they panels were very heavy..

Edited by ruxy
added - (LIGHTWEIGHT 1/2 ton)

thanks aagin for the info.

The evidence I have 41 KC 34........

A build up of paint here the front wing GRP would have gone.

loads of hole filled in on the body work ( sorry about the light, it was fading fast)

and i think this maybe the hle ruxy was on about?

but there is no underside mods at all.

making a kit could be something for the future! maybe!

Thanks again

Alex

ront wing 1.jpg

side panel.jpg

rear 1.jpg

thanks aagin for the info.

The evidence I have 41 KC 34........

A build up of paint here the front wing GRP would have gone.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41699[/ATTACH]

loads of hole filled in on the body work ( sorry about the light, it was fading fast)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41700[/ATTACH]

and i think this maybe the hle ruxy was on about?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41701[/ATTACH]

but there is no underside mods at all.

making a kit could be something for the future! maybe!

Thanks again

Alex

Get onto the EMLRA website and contact Mark Cook or buy his book. Sure there are plenty of photo's on there for you to have a look at. You would be able to make one out of fiberglass if you got the measurements!!

Hi all,

I finished restoring a Series 111 12v VPK last year.The suspension was fitted with aleron bump stops all round.when restoring the chassis i noticed that there was extra reinforcing plate welded to the rear cross member for the weight of the fiberglass armoure.The fibre glass panels were bolted on by two fitters with basic hand tools.The material makralon is like a very thick perspect sheeting that was used for the roof hatch surround.The body work panels are made from multiple layers of heavy duty fibreglass. My landy left the factory in late 1984 as a 12 volt GS.It was converted into a vpk in 1986,then up graded in to a HVVPK With steel armoure and a single piece rear door.Some time between 1989 and 1993 it was down armoured to a VPK and refitted with twin rear doors.Most VPK bodies were transfered from vehicle to vehicle as they were sold off.Mine only servived because it was to be scrapped and left on the vehicle and sold to a dealer.Ihave been told that Mark cooks was the only 1/2 one left and that went to Ireland.I have a copy of the fitting instruction up the loft some were,i will have a look.A few pictures of the before and after.It was featured in Land rover owner international December 2010

Toby

2007_1225newcamera0066.jpg

SANY0233.jpg