Bedford MK

HWade

Hi, I have a bedford Mk that I need to fit a new water pump to. Can this be done from the inside of the cab removing seats and centre panel, or is there another way.

Thanks Howard

Hi Howard,

Short answer........Yes ;). A bit awkward, due to the fan cowling, watch your hands. Sometimes, some cunning person who had done the job previously, could have cut a piece out of the top of the cowl to make more room.

regards, Richard

That was one of the things that I think the Army COULD have incorported into the MK design.

A forward tilting cab would have made Maintainance SO much easier & more importatntly quicker! I believe this option was vetoed on the grounds of this facility being dangerous for a vehicle that had a cross country mode. IE: The cab MIGHT tip forward whilst being driven Etc. Utter Balderdash! there is always a substansive cab retention system in place on any tipping cab, & also a backup safety hook as well. This could have been done & life would have been made a lot better for working access. Then to contradict the Army policy of NOT having a tilting cab, the Leyland DAF was introduced along with bedford Etc WITH a Tilting Cab !!!!! WTF was the problem then?.....:nut:

Hi

Your right there a tilting cab would save alot of time and effort, I dont really know how long this job is going to take, i have not replaced a water on one of these before so we will have to see. But you can bet that some problem will crop up, but then again i may be wrong.

all the best

Howard

Even the aborted re-cabbing programme for 200 or so of the MKs used a TL cab but with non-tilt mounting. Probably on cost grounds I expect. Well I say aborted - after they bought all the cab kits and only fitted a handful. Lucky for me and many other Bedfod users :)

Lucky old you.I seem to be attracting Bedfords at the moment, I have a Ql thats just had all of the body and cab off chassis reblasted and painted, plus all the body and cab and more. I have the MK to do work on. and to top it off a Bedford RL AFS control vehicle to totally strip and rebiuld, and thats just the Bedfords.

Howard

Just my two pennyworth.....after leaving the mob & taking up civy spanners I regulary used to work on KMs & TKs.....to change a water pump I just used to drop the radiator & then sit under neath & do it. In my defence it's been a long long time since I did the last one but I don't recall it being a problem doing this way.

H

Just my two pennyworth.....after leaving the mob & taking up civy spanners I regulary used to work on KMs & TKs.....to change a water pump I just used to drop the radiator & then sit under neath & do it. In my defence it's been a long long time since I did the last one but I don't recall it being a problem doing this way.

H

H,

On the civilian cab TK's, there is no removable panel between the seats to access the front of the engine ( as in M series), so no choice, you would have to drop the rad on a KM or TK.

Quote;-On the civilian cab TK's, there is no removable panel between the seats to access the front of the engine ( as in M series), so no choice, you would have to drop the rad on a KM or TK.

Agreed, but my only point was, as the rad (on a TK anyway) is not that difficult to remove it just makes access to the pump that much easier. You can see exactly what you're doing & you're sitting upright rather than working through a hole. Coolant has to be drained anyway so might as well drop the rad would be my choice.

H

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got started on the Bedford MK today, both seats removed along with middle panel in cab, remove part of the gear linkage and disconnect all water pipes. To make it easier I plasma cut a section from the rad Fan cowling, this made it alot easier to remove the fan and the waterpump. The pump being the three bolt fixing and not the five bolt fixing. Just got to order the new pump and get it fitted.

Regards Howard

• 1 month later...