carb and ice!

griff66

well just got back from 30 mile drive in temp of plus 3 and rain !! had quite an issue with carb iceing had to keep revs low and in higher gear than usual still every 8 or so miles had to pull over and let engine geat defrost carb ! how on earth when in servive did they cope with this problem?

Suppose theres a few options fuel additive cheers richard, cowling over air filter and ducting maybe down to gearbox area gets nice and hot there, somehow running airfilter feed into engine bay, or foam filter over carb intake and eliminating air filter unit.Or not driving it in rubbish weather!:laugh:

My GMC and Jeep would ice up in wet cool weather never had a problem with the Dodge on a Carter carb I understand that the cast-iron Zenith can suffer icing though.

An Austin K2 I restored for someone else was by far the worst, that would ice up in the summer!, found that you had to let everything come up to operating temp before moving off.

Pete