Humber Pig brigade badge stab in the dark.....

Big Dan

Hi all,

OK, bit of a no hoper, I was scrapping many layers of crusty paint off around the by the upper rear door mounts and came accross a painted regimental badge on the first layer of deep bronze green (which I am assuming is as per mk1) as every subsequent layer comes off. The regimental badge is a medium blue with bright yellow on top. There was also evidence of a much later blue badge on top of about 20 further layers of green but only a tiny bit of this remained. Alas, very little remains so I doubt posting a pic will help.

Does anyone have any ideas on which reg or where I can find pics of period regiment insignias?

Would be great to fill in few historical gaps.....

Thanks, Dan.

Dan is the blue horizontal with the top half in yellow or might it be a top diagonal yellow?

Is there any remnant of a number on top of this badge? That would pin things down.

Try looking for badges of the front sloping armour above the radiator & see if anything is clearer. Then work your way through these to see if anything matches up.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?7897-Post-War-British-Army-Markings

Also look for post 1977 unit markings which will be in white characters about an inch high on the off side wing eg SE/123. I know yours only has one original wing that has the locker. The wing without a locker is a NI replacement & unlikely to bear this marking.

Near the 'apex'' of the top radiator armour you may find a white 2" sided square with a red circle or disc. Not an indication that it was used by the Japanese(!) but a common BAOR marking indicating that antifreeze has been added.

Ah, just checked Clives link - plenty of blue and yellow there!

I`ll try and get a pic tomorow, but there`s really very little left as it was under loads of paint and only the first red primer/bronze green coats really stuck.

Clive, you mention a number - would this be above where the marking is or on top?

Did I mention there`s quite a bit of corrosion in this area as well.....

I`ll also check the origional wing for markings (though none are currently present so a bit of carefull scraping might be in order.

Love this discovery stuff....

Right, took a pic of whats left on the back and then started scrapping on front upper on the passenger side. Under the only bit of really solid paint I came accross an insignia with from right to left - white outer, black, red then blue, bit of white at the bottom. Its VERY tricky to scrape as it is applied on the first coat of bronze green with 20 odd layers of green on top (The insignia had not been repeated in later layers). There was also evidence of another blue badge on the drivers side of front plate, again on the first coat.

Rear insignia: (the dullish red is the origional primer)

Told you there wasn`t much left, however, heres the front one.

If anyone has any ideas it would very much be appreciated.

DSC_7807.jpg

DSC_7788.jpg

Dan I'm having difficulty judging size & orientation. Have you got views stepped back a bit?

Are scraping this paint off cold? I think it would be worth applying the gentle use of a hot air gun (not a flame!) to plasticise the layers of NATO green & try to shave/scoop it off in layers with wall paper stripping tool.

I have had good results with wire wool and kerosene for slowly reducing paint without affecting markings beneath, but is a slow process.

Markings on my Pig are a bit more preserved as they have been retouched over time!

Division markings for Pig

All seeing eye of 4th brigade Guards

IMAG0076.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

pig 01072010 002.jpg

Hi guys,

Tried using some heat, but still tricky.

Bit of a coinsidence but that all seeing eye would fit rather well - just with a black background and blue infill panel.

Here`s todays pics: First shows location:

This shows a square outlined in white, black fill, then red shield, blue infill and white writing - definate "v" in the white center writing - hence the suprise at the previous post and similarities. This is all that is left as most of the paint is missing.

Heres the bit of blue/yellow by the rear left door.

What do you all think?

DSC_7832.jpg

DSC_7833.jpg

DSC_7829.jpg

Ah Dan 91MS73 being its military sales ERM. I hadn't got a note of that most, Pigs that acquired such an ERM were in the 91MSxx sequence. Can you remind me of its 'BK' ERM please.

BTW it does look rather like Wayne's markings & even those on his Pig;)

Hi Clive,

03 BK 20

It kind of made sense looking at the shield and eye motif - when scrapping some coloured paint came off with the green - especially the white lettering which was painted on top of the blue - I could make out "IV" but there was a definate wavey line with more white around it above the lettering but I could not figure it out - part of an eye would fit for sure. Same with the red shield - from some small bits that did not show on the camera I already had it down as a shield - I`ll have to look up Guards Insignias.

Once again, any help would be awesome - if Rover8ffr has tracked any more info on his Pig it might be good.

Thanks, Dan.

Ok, maybe jumping to conclusions here.....

What do we think......

Damn, image is a bmp file and won`t upload. Google images has a red shield, blue infill, white eye showing under a search for "guards eye insignia"

If you're using windows open it up as a picture then edit it in paint and save it as a jpeg with a different file name.

Ah Dan 91MS73 being its military sales ERM. I hadn't got a note of that most, Pigs that acquired such an ERM were in the 91MSxx sequence. Can you remind me of its 'BK' ERM please.

BTW it does look rather like Wayne's markings & even those on his Pig;)

Hi Clive,

You`ve lost me on the ERM stuff - could it be relavent? I just figured it was a sales marking to make sure the right Pig went to the right buyer?

Sorry Dan

ERM = Equipment Registration Mark a more embracing term to VRM = Vehicle Registration Mark as ERM embraces not just vehicles but trailers, concrete mixers, plant etc as well.

I have see VRN = Vehicle Registration Number used occasionally in military parlance but more generally as a civilian identification. But of course it is not just numbers there are letters as well. It also has ambiguity with VRN = Vocabulary Reference Number (as in stores accounting)

Yes you are right MS was a way of identifying a vehicle which had lost its in service identity once it had been struck off census but had not been discharged from MOD retention.

Edited by fv1609
Missing words