Singapor

m606paz

The last pics shows Australian 1941 15 cwt Chevrolet GS Vans , or "utes" in common parlance . Militarized civilian vehicles.

The army here used a lot of them in the 1939 to 42 era > GMH built the cabs and rear bodywork. ...everything else was imported from Canada , the RHD steering boxes etc. The rear body was sheetmetal over a wooden frame , very fragile and flimsy .

Virtually none of them have survived here as 99% were sent overseas . I have the remains of two of them.

You could go to the AWM in Canberra and look up V5202 in their books and it would tell you what ship and the date it left Australia for Malaya .

These vehicles were all either captured or destroyed in the fighting .

Mike

Edited by goanna

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guy Ant Quad No24 Limbers and 18/25 pdr Rare as :cool2: Thanks for posting[/quote

Are you sure, Lieutenant? Great pics I will agree, and a Guy Quad (as well as a few Morris ones), but I think that is a 4.5 inch Howitzer on Carriage Mk 1P and a Limber No 26. Probably even rarer than the 18/25 pounder with Limber No 24!

Chris