Sandhurst Training

m606paz

schliesser92

Most of them commissioned, too !

Surely the beard precludes them being commisioned? at least to most regiments.

Sidewinder

.....they're gonna use the goat for target practice! :shocked:

My father used to recount when food was short in Burma the company cook chased down a wild goat with a Thompson.

How did the goat get a Thompson? Or was it bloody good camouflage? :-D Did get told a story by an old veteran. He ran a transport section in Burma using MWs. One of the trucks hit and killed a water buffalo. As Steve's Dad implies, nothing wasted out there that could be eaten, so it was slung into the truck and brought back. Unfortunatley a lot of the Section wee Hindu. They were not happy with the truck having 'Cows' blood on it, so the truck was RTU'd for replacement. At the depot were some Dodges, by a bit of dealing he eneded up with a WC51, and a WC52. Apparently it turned out a raw deal, because the Dodges would go anywhere they got all the lousy jobs.

Edited by Tony B

Fantastic pics. The wireless set might be a No. 11 . Or maybe a No. 1 set .

Does anyone know the regiment "INNS" etc . Would the "TA" script refer to Territorial Army ? The chaps shoulder badge also says INNS XXXXX etc.

Mike

goanna

Does anyone know the regiment "INNS" etc

Inns of Court Rgt. was a pre war TA Rgt. In theory one of the oldest none regular units in the British Army dating back to Elizabethian times. King George III named them the "Devils Own" when being told they were all lawyers:shocked:.

The Inns of Court Volunteers became an officer training unit in 1859. Then became a Rifle Brigade battalion. During World War One it again became an officers training unit, but actually went on active service as the London Rgt.

At the time the photos were taken in 1938-9 it was a perculiar mixed cavalry/infantry unit rather like a Yeomany Rgt. It became part of the RAC in 1940 as an armoured car rgt. It supported 3rd Canadians during Normandy and later I Corps recce component.

Post War it became part of the City of London Yeomany, I think it became the signals Rgt to part of an SAS TA bat, more recently -but could be wrong on that -amalgamation of amalgamation of amalgamation.;)

• 2 weeks later...

Great pics my friend,

Some very nice early vehicles and weapons. Mix of 15 Cwt,s early solid bumper and later variant with brush gaurd.

The Bren is not a BREN but a ZGB, pre production model from the czech factory due to a delay in enfield produced ones, note the different sight apeture and the slant back angle on the rear sight. Do wish i could get my hands on one but so ....sooooo rare!!!

They were even used when the manual was being produced, check out the line drawings and you will see the canted back rear sight. The guys were realy realy accurate when they did those drawings.

Keep em comming!!

Regards

Tim