Landrover engine conversion + 12v or 24v

xtreme

I have a landrover tdi engine with auto box that I will be fitting into a 1986 110 LHD military landrover

Am I best changing the vehicle to 12v . if so is it just the heater blower and bulbs that needs changing

Also the landrover has no powersteering . The vehicle is Left hand drive do I need to get a lhd power steering box.

cheers Dan

Your Land Rover if ex British MOD will be 12v, with a second 24v generator for the radio fit (if it is still in place), so no worries there.

If the engine is 200tdi, then I would reccomend just bolting it up to the existing gearbox as previously stated, tdi autos are not that great.

If its a 300tdi you have, then you will to either fit it to the existing gearbox, and frig the front end to fit, or get a R380 box, 300tdi floor panels, transmission cover, seatbase and front and back props. You will also need to move the gearbox mounts.

Hi dan,

I have this conversion underway At the moment in my garage for a friend.

The 110 is 12v, like said before, just check the bulbs, if there is no obvious second battery, or even the "this vehicle is 12/24v" decal on the rear crossmember.

As said previously, If you have a 200 tdi then its easy, dont use the auto box, unless you really hanker after an auto.

Use the original g.box, assuming its a 200 tdi, take off the flexplate, ( where the flywheel should be, as its an auto) take off the flywheel casing, at rear of engine.

Use the casing and flywheel from the defender engine, makes life so easy,

Hopefully you kept ancilleries from the tdi donor. Fuel connection (banjo) on pump is different.

Change the engine loom from the defender to the tdi

Then dont forget you will need to change the radiator, for a tdi rad and intercooler, unless you go non turbo with the tdi, but this, although reliable, is then not that much more power over the 2.5 t.diesel.

Use the engine mounts from the original engine onto the tdi

You should do a build up thread and post some pictures, i didnt think about it until i was part way through the conversion.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Shaun

here is the picture of the tdi in the defender,

its a disco tdi, (easier to get hold of)

its further along now, i mounted all the radiator, intercooler and front end today, got to fit the wing radio box's and antenna's next.

im not restoring it, just doing the conversion for the owner, the resto and painting is for him. it looks a little rough, but its solid. if it was mine i would have torn it apart and rebuilt it fully.

cheers

shaun

CIMG1810.jpg