Radiator badges on AEC Matadors

NickAbbott

Can anyone tell me when AEC badges were and weren't fitted to Matador radiators? I know a lot have been fitted by later owners, but I believe that my 1940 Matador should have a badge, but I think the radiator has been changed, and there is no sign of how one would've been fitted. Does anyone have a Matador which has an original badge fitted to the radiator, that they could post pictures of? Is the badge fitted into a recess, like on the majority of AEC radiators, or is it fitted onto the surface? Attached is an AEC drawing of what the original badge should look like.

Thanks

Nick

matador.jpg

Most Matadors were built without Radiator badges. Most radiators were undrilled.

Nearly all you see have been retro-fitted by civvy owners trying to dress up the Matador.

Consequently most sit on the surface. It is a refreshing change when you do see a genuine Matador, without Badge, and with no drillings. I still have an undrilled Cast Iron radiator, at the moment.

Edited by antarmike

I've got a few more AEC badge drawings, the earliest is 1924, and they are all the same - dimensions in mm and hole sizes and plate thicknesses in imperial! If you look in AEC manuals, there are also a lot of uses of mm - As an example, I think the AEC 7.7 engine uses 105mm pistons.

Nick