Temperamental TM temperature guage!

extrogg

Try saying that when you are sober!!

Hi..I wondered if anyone can shed some light on a little problem that my TM has developed. When I start the truck up and let it idle to get it upto working temp both thermostats open and it sits at 80 degrees (normal). However when I take it for a drive and start working the engine the temp creeps upto 130 degrees (max) and just sits there. It doesnt over heat, boil over or lose any coolant, the top and bottom hoses are both hot as is the header tank. The truck runs fine but it does cause me concern when going any distance..dont want anything drastic to happen!! Ive replaced both thermostats and sender switch and it still does it..so im at a loss!!

Hope someone might have an idea as to whats going on.

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

Edited by extrogg
spelling

I can't remember if TMs are the same and my manuals aren't handy, but a lot of European GM vehicles of this era have a voltage regulator on the supply to the temp gauge. When this fails the temp indication will typically creep up to maximum and stay there. Might be worth a try if you're sure there isn't a genuine overheat.

Have you tried measuring actual temperature using a (digital) thermometer?

Firstly thanks for all your suggestions..much appreciated.

I think the problem does point to an electrical fault as Ive noticed that when i switch the headlights on the temp needle creeps up but sits higher than 130. Ill get an electrician on it to test it with a meter. The sender i ordered to replace the exsisting one does differ from the original. I was going to swap them back over and see what happens but now ive found the headlight problem it could well be down to faulty wiring.