Removing Saladin Mantlet - pictures

Fugly

Spent a total of about 13 hours unseizing the mantlet/mount on my Saladin - The gap between the mantlet and the turret is about 2 mm , just allowing paint scrapers to be used as chisels, and hacksaw blades if you are lucky. Thanks to John over at Canterbury who has restored 2 Saldins for his very useful advice. Plusgas works very well. Got through 4 scrapers, several hacksaw blades and plenty of penetrating oil.

Anyway, pictures says a thousand words.:-)

DSCN8567.jpg

DSCN8573.jpg

DSCN8568.jpg

DSCN8569.jpg

DSCN8574.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on being granted the paperwork for the gun. Truly envious to be able to own a complete vehicle with the gun intact.

It does however boggle the mind on smoke grenade dischargers and who can or can't have them.

Best of luck with the rest of the restoration.

R

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture of the gun, as you may read in the wanted section I am searching for Saladin Breech block and any parts off the firing mechanism, and the large sleeve/nut that holds the barrel in position. All help appreciated. Cash waiting.:)

DSCN9018.jpg

DSCN9017.jpg

Is that the very rare 76mm gun mount (improvised) wooden dolly with Halfords Jack stand MK1?

Guess it didn't get very far except backwards!

R

Its actually an ultra rare "CLARKE" brand axle stand, sold in the exclusive "Machine Mart" shop. They only ever made in sets of three and were sold mainly to reliant Robin owners :D

Machine Mart is situated dangerously close to where I work , and I am often lured in , drawn by the vivid red equipment in the window. I go in every month for a quick look round and end up buying something I dont really need :blush:

The wooden dolly is my own (secret) design , and can carry 5 children downhill....:nut:

• 8 months later...

Have continued work inside the turret and am refitting the commanders traverse mechanism. I am always surprised how ell these thing clean up - quality materials in the first place !

Please dont knock me on the plated bolts........I just want it in position !

DSCF1749.jpg

DSCF1750.jpg

DSCF1751.jpg

• 1 year later...