Moving a stalwart?

jpg1982

I am about to move 2 stalwarts and a tatra 813 as they are shortly off to a new home. All 3 vehicles are inoperable as they have not been moved for upto 10 years! They are parked tight against a fence, behind a building making access difficult.

Many of you may of heard or seen the vehicles in question as they are at Manby Motorplex.

Can anyone give me any advice on what i may need to do with the stalwarts to move them? Will the brakes need to be wound off? I was unsure if they had air brakes or not. Im going to attempt to pull them out on wednesday, the tatra is off to the scrap yard but the stollys fate is yet to be decided.

I hope that out of the 5 we have at least 2 can be saved. And if anyone was wondering what is in the crates in the back of the first stalwart, there are 4 new complete engines, all in there military wax paper and tags, without a spot of rust on them! they look like B81 engines:nut:.

stolly1.jpg

stolly2.jpg

Stalwart does not have air brakes. Handbrake should release by pushing in button on end then banging the lever forwards. It is a ratchet type, this should release the bands around the 2 small handbrake drums on the front bevel units (inboard under cab floor plates). It should then tow onto lowloader. Why is Tatra scrap ? Are the engines for sale ?

Thanks for the info. All that remains of the tatra are the rear body, chassis and 3 axles. The engine, gearbox and front axle were sold as spares with another tatra that we had. We only have one tatra left now, which may be up for sale for the right price, as it is only used to tow start the centurion!! I believe that the engines in the back of the stolly are for sale but I do not have a clue about the price.

My boss seams to have collected rather a lot of stalwart, centurion and 432 parts over the years and im currently having a sort out and trying to see what he has got as i dont think he even knows. So far i have found 5 40ft containers full of stillages stacked 2 high with parts in, and 3 more 40ft containers with stalwart parts and 432 engine packs:shocked:

I think that due to scrap prices being quite high at the moment, the stollys along with the 3 centurions will be off to the scrap yard very soon:cry:

If anyone is interested in any parts or the complete vehicles let me know. The stollys are going to be sold of for scrap, so if I can salvage parts I will. I would of loved to save at least one of them but I dont have the funds or the time to do so.

Thanks Jason

Johns advice re the brakes is correct - when the handbrake is released you hear a sound like the hull has been thumped with a hammer. - no sound means they might have seized on - should release when they are tugged though...

What on earth are the handgrips on the sides of the second one for????

What state are the hydraulic winches in?? Could be interested in some of the ancillaries stuff from the cab and under the engine deck (as opposed to major units).....

Edited by ArtistsRifles

Whats a stolly worth in scrap?

I presume it wont be top dollar as it will be classed as mixed scrap, what with all the rubber, glass etc

If your boss was to say, if someone gives him the scrap value, and they take it away, they can buy it.

At least someone could buy it for spares/repair, it just seems a shame to see them scrapped. :cry:

I would do it, but the cost involved in bringing it back to belgium wouldnt make it viable.

Cheers

Shaun

What state are the hydraulic winches in?? Could be interested in some of the ancillaries stuff from the cab and under the engine deck (as opposed to major units).....

The handgrips were put on to help customers climb on board, as they were used for offroad driving experiences. I have no idea what the winches are like as I have never worked on them or driven them, but all 6 stollys ( I found an extra stolly hiding in the bushes) have been kept outside exposed to the elements for years. Much of the interiors have been vandalised or removed although 2 of the stollys are in fairly good order inside, as the hatches were pad locked shut.

That depends on what you call decent:-D there is a mk1 that looks restorable and possibly a mark 2. The glass is still intact on these 2 and the hatches were locked shut so vanadals havent got near them. Ive no idea on running order though as all 6 were parked up around 8-10 years ago! there are certainly plenty of usable parts if somone was prepared to break them, but i think in scrap alone they're worth around £1800 at the mo. The scrap dealers have been hovering like vultures since the word got out that they might get scrapped!:cry:

Johns advice re the brakes is correct - when the handbrake is released you hear a sound like the hull has been thumped with a hammer. - no sound means they might have seized on - should release when they are tugged though...

They look as if they've been used for 'experiance day' type rides, and these 'handrails' have been fitted to allow Mr and Mr Civilian easier access to the load area, which probably had seats fitted for 'comfort'...... seen it done to all manner of military vehicles, even Centurions!:-\

All of the 432 parts are for sale I just dont know what he has got. I know we have got new and used spares for centurions, 432 and some parts for stollys, I think there is even a crate engine for a ferret. The parts were purchased as a side line to the main business to use on the vehicles when we ran military vehicle driving experiences, which we no longer do and have not done for a number of years.

I will try and get a list together of what he has got but I do not want to be in breach of HMVF terms and conditions so I would prefer contact via pm rather than the forum.

Jason

I will try and get a list together of what he has got but I do not want to be in breach of HMVF terms and conditions so I would prefer contact via pm rather than the forum.

Jason

PM sent - possibly twice by accident as the site seems very sluggish tonight!

Andy

• 11 months later...