Bedford TK workshop manuals advice needed!

HoFFdog

Hi there guys, i am restoring a 1979 Bedford TK 860 330cu 5.4l deisel.

Just a quick question as regards the various manuals availible that are applicable to my model bedford, and whether anyone here knows if i have the correct manuals in mind prior to me parting with any cash.

Primarily i want a manual to assist in maintenance/servicing & generally becoming familiar with the engine. The Service Training Manual TS.505 seems to be the one i need as regards the engine, with TS.507 & TS.508 manuals dealing with the transmission/prop shaft & steering gear/front axle/brakes.

However these manuals were all printed in the early 1960's, almost 20 years before my Bedford was even manufactured. Am i right in assuming the TK series changed little in that time so these manuals would still be applicable to my bedford, or were there updated manuals that would be more suitible??? If so, what are the manual codes & where could i purchase them?

Ive seen a series of 6 manuals on http://www.vintagemvmanuals.co.uk/ titled 'Bedford Trucks & Coaches 1973 onwards' that cover everything from engine, transmission, axles, brakes....the lot. Is anyone familiar with this series of bedford manuals and whether they are more suitible for my 1979 TK than the TS manuals? I cant really afford both sets, so its one or the other.

I also need a parts list manual, does anyone know the code for this and where i could possibly get hold of a copy?

Apologies for the rambling post. Any help and advice will be very much appreciated. :D

Cheers

Hi there guys, i am restoring a 1979 Bedford TK 860 330cu 5.4l deisel.

Just a quick question as regards the various manuals availible that are applicable to my model bedford, and whether anyone here knows if i have the correct manuals in mind prior to me parting with any cash.

I am just looking at one of those Bedford Service Training Manuals, not an engine one. Inside the front cover it lists those manuals relevant for 1973 Bedford Trucks and Coaches. The one titled "Gasoline and Diesel Engines" is TS1084. That should cover yours, I am assuming it is a non-turbo? The early 60's manual numbers you quoted might have been for the 300 diesel, the 330 superceded it.

I think you maybe correct I think the TK is the civiy vershion of the MK in 2 wheel drive but I maybe wrong.

Al

TK was not just a civvy model since RAF had them as Fire tenders, Bowsers , Airfield control towers, re-fuellersetc.

Also used by the army in a cargo role

bedford_tk1qgb_60fm34_1_ls.jpg

Edited by antarmike

I am just looking at one of those Bedford Service Training Manuals, not an engine one. Inside the front cover it lists those manuals relevant for 1973 Bedford Trucks and Coaches. The one titled "Gasoline and Diesel Engines" is TS1084. That should cover yours, I am assuming it is a non-turbo? The early 60's manual numbers you quoted might have been for the 300 diesel, the 330 superceded it.

The TS.505 Service Training Manual IS listed as covering the 330 cu diesel engine, or so it says from this vehicle manual website....

http://www.ekmpowershop5.com/ekmps/shops/greenmachines/bedford-tk-tj-111-c.asp

You assume correctly, my engine is non-turbo. Thanks for the TS code on that 'Bedford Trucks & Coaches' manual. If both sets of these manuals cover the 330cu diesel, it makes it a little confusing as what one to go for!?!

Can you tell me the vehicle Asset Code & I can dig out the details of what you need. NSN would do but that is not so easy to cross reference.

Sorry mate, im completely ignorant as to what an 'asset code' & 'NSN' actually is! Im assuming this infomation would be somewhere on the vehicle, if so let me know where i would likely to find it and i'll get it to you.

Thanks for everyones input on this so far. appreciate it.

The TS.505 Service Training Manual IS listed as covering the 330 cu diesel engine, or so it says from this vehicle manual website....

http://www.ekmpowershop5.com/ekmps/shops/greenmachines/bedford-tk-tj-111-c.asp

You assume correctly, my engine is non-turbo. Thanks for the TS code on that 'Bedford Trucks & Coaches' manual. If both sets of these manuals cover the 330cu diesel, it makes it a little confusing as what one to go for!?!

Hi,

the TS505 book is dated as 1962 and would be covering the inline fuel injection pump.....quite a bit earlier that your TK, which would have rotary DPA type pump, that is why I gave you the TS1084 number as this is nearer the build date of yours. It is actually listed on that same website.

Asset Code or Equipment Code Number is an 8-digit identification for a precise vehicle (or mobile equipment) type & variant within that type eg there are in the order of 150 different Codes for just the old Defenders.

Asset Codes used to be 11-digits (6+2+3) but changed over to the current system of 4+4 in 1967. Nowadays vehicle contract plates have the NSN as well. This is the 13-digit NATO Stock Number consisting of 4+2+3+4.

The reason I was after the Asset Code is that I have some official catalogues of B & E Vehicles which are indexed by Asset Code. They lay out the documents available & dates of amendments.