More Rover 8's. Anyone on here?

ferret1958uk

00DM23 and 24DM80.

BeautyBeasth.jpg

Stumbled across these on photobucket. Do they belong to anyone on here? Looks like a tidy set of FFR and GS, with the FFR in the stripdown stages of a restoration. I would love to know more.

The owner has posted some nice images of some of the fittings. I have never seen those lifting rings before.

The full album is here. http://s950.photobucket.com/home/00DM23

That J reg Landy. Does it by any chance have a odd hole in the back chassis member? Or any trace of black and gold paint? Age about 1964 to 1968? If so it may well be an old friend. And starred in a film with Suasn Hampshire called Neither the Sea nor the Sand.

Edited by Tony B

:wow::wow::wow: Looking at the photos, yes it is the one I used to play with. She ended up being owned by the Jersey Drag Hunt & Chase Club. Benson & Hedges were sponsors at the time. She had a hard top in B&H livery and a 50 mm ball, no it was a 2 inch ball! To tow a Rice Farmers Hunt trailer, also in B&H livery.When she was used in the film she had only just arrived and was in an all over grey primer. I think we also used her to transport a horse called Barnaby. If you have ever seen the Monty Python Highway man sketch? Where Lupins are being stolen, there is a scne with a sily song Dennis Moore on his horse Concorde. That was filmed in Jersey.

Very nice, interesting to see the 3rd division flash on the wing as well.:cheesy:

3rd Infantry Division disbanded at the end of Aug. 1945. This badge appears to have applied at around the same layer of paint as the RA tac sign on the other front wing and the tailgate. The 3rd Inf Div had the following RA units:

7th Field Regiment 03.09.1939 - 31.08.1945

23rd Field Regiment 03.09.1939 - 05.03.1940

33rd Field Regiment 03.09.1939 - 31.08.1945

76th Field Regiment 05.03.1940 - 17.08.1945

6th Field Regiment 17.08.1945 - 31.08.1945

20th Anti-Tank Regiment 03.09.1939 - 31.08.1945

92nd Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment 24.03.1942 - 10.06.1945

112th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment 10.06.1945 - 31.08.1945

The RA rac sign clearly shows 34. This was not possible according to the regulations posted on this Forum by Clive Elliot. 34 Always appears as Corp Fld Park Sqn with a blue background. Given the vehicles history in the film industry and other civilian life I think that this was painted up in wartime colours for some obscure reason. I did not see it in Ice Cold in Alex though...

Tony

Do you recall her being a 24v 40amp Rover 8 as whilst I see the toast rack grille I cannot see the selenium rectifier behind. Guessing that the vehicle was converted to 12v at some stage?

Also rear springs stamped 109 would be the wrong parts for the SWB 88!

Nice to see some original markings.

I have purposely kept my old tub and wings (57EK34) so that one day I can sand them down and see what comes up (if anything) as the B card was not found at Deepcut! Therefore history unknown.

Great to see another old series 2a FFR though! :D

Hi Wayne, To be honest it was about 34 years ago. I remeber the toast rack. Where she came from I don't know. I think she was from a UK dealear. The Jersey Chase club may have some photos in their archive. The Jersey transport office may have info.http://www.gov.je/pages/contacts.aspx?contactId=50