Land Rover S1 contract plate location

ferret1958uk

Restoration of the 1952 S1 'Rover Mk2' is within weeks of completion. The chassis plate has been fitted to the bulkhead immediately to the right of the dash panel, but I cannot remember where the military contract plate went?

I am sure that it fits on the bulkhead, and suspect it was fitted infont of the drivers right knee, but having replaced the metal there I do not have the holes to guide me. I have searched lots of photos of series 1's and the later vehicles with the same style dash as the series 2's have the plate on the left side in the glove box.

Also, does anyone have a copy of the military User Handbook for the Mk2? For those that do not know, the Mk2 is the 80' series 1 fitted with the 2 litre engine.

Have a look for holes on the top face of the left hand dumb iron. Some plates were fitted there.

I'm not sure that there was a military edition of the driver's handbook for Mk2s. I've never seen one and I've played with Series Ones for more years than I like to remember. It's possible that the standard issue civvy handbook was used, maybe with some MoD overstamping but again I've not seen one like this.

Edited by Ivor Ramsden

Army User Handbook for the Land Rover 80". It is WO Code No 17856/3; Aip Publication 4337D (U.H.) Admiralty MTP. 4303/2 and covers Rover Mk1, Mk2, Mk3, Mk4 & Mk5 and dated 1957.

It appears Kaci has one as I cut and pasted this info from the WW2 manuals thread. (Page 4), but he does not add if it was available.

Having found the number from that thread I did a web search and found one brand new for £18 from lrseries.com. Call me tight if you wish, but I would prefer to pay less than that if possible.

4061-SERIES-1-MILITARY-USER-HAND-BOOK.jpg

That's an MoD issue handbook sure enough but it's not contemporary with the Mark 2. They were first issued in 1955 or thereabouts and reissued with amendments for many years, eventually covering all Series 1s.

The MoD handbook is a good read, and covers everything that you'll need, but if you search long enough you should find a 1952 original for around the same price.

I think most of the Series 1 parts suppliers have these MoD handbooks. I guess they might be reproductions now but it's not that long since they were available NOS.