Saracen, Hydraulic fuel leak OM13

simonm

Hi All

My Saracen has just sprung a leak, seamingly while standing, now I have noticed the leak - my two little red lights didn't go out, a top up to fix it last weekend has mostly drained out.

Its not the fluid flywheel.

I think its leaking from the unpressuraised part of the system, ie seems to be leaking when standing even when not running. Before I start taking things apart, any thoughts on where to look first? Perhaps some short cuts gained through experience. And yes, it is OM13 in the system.

As to plans for stripping down, I'll remove the reservoir 1st then check connections to the pump. Note to self, attach string to all tools before starting!

Hi All

My Saracen has just sprung a leak, seamingly while standing, now I have noticed the leak - my two little red lights didn't go out, a top up to fix it last weekend has mostly drained out.

hi Simon,

There is a pipe down below the tank that is prone to chaffing, usually because it has not been clipped correctly. I would be more inclined to look for the leak before removing the tank because you need to pinpoint it first. On the front of the hull below the rad louvres, there is a plate the width of the hull and about 8 inches deep. If you take that off you can look at the pipe work around the pump area, not easily accessible, but at least you might see something. Remember to bleed the pump before starting, if it has run out of oil.

Richard

Hi Richard

Good start and will do that, it would make sense for it to be there. Thanks for the reminder about bleeding the pump.

She was in the Faversham Carnival last year and behaved like a true lady, after a I had found where the Army or Air Training cadet had disconnected the battery and delayed the start of my bit of the carnival! 4 miles of in and out of 1st gear so the flywheel wouldn't cook!

Got back and all fine, it was only when we had the very bad weather in December that I noticed she started to leak, it might even be expansion / contraction leading to a loose connection, which I guess will be in the same place.

regards

Simon

No luck so far, but, I think I might be wrong about being on the unpressurized part, it could just be a big! leak. There seemed to be an awful lot lost for 5 minutes running the engine. I've topped up to a level and I'll see if it goes down, I've got the manual so have some indication of what and where to look. I suppose this is where an armoured car has its drawbacks, an ordinary car you can tell where the leak is by where the puddle is!

No luck so far, but, I think I might be wrong about being on the unpressurized part, it could just be a big! leak. There seemed to be an awful lot lost for 5 minutes running the engine. I've topped up to a level and I'll see if it goes down, I've got the manual so have some indication of what and where to look. I suppose this is where an armoured car has its drawbacks, an ordinary car you can tell where the leak is by where the puddle is!

I would not mind betting it is the metal pipe near the front, under the plate I mentioned, think it rubs on something in the vicinity of the pump drive belt. A common problem. You may end up having to take the front off though.

I had a similar problem in my Saladin, although backwards to yours! I replaced all the low pressure pipework to cure the issue.

Also check the flexible pipe from the pump to a bracket on the hull.

It can be difficult to pin point these sorts of leaks as the hull catches everything and diverts your attention!

Good luck!

I had taken the bottom plate off and all parts looked dry and in good condition. I couldn't see up into teh space between the fuid reservoir and the pump so what must be the longer pipe to the pump is obscured, ie in the depths of the engine so next step is to get an inspection mirror / torch to get a better look at these areas. Also, keeping an eye on the fluid level. At the moment this is mostly a weekend and dodging rain job so could take a while. I suppose on the plus side, any work like this is both inspection and renovating:-\, can't be bad!

Simon