Core Plug replacement on a Land Rover 2 1/4 petrol block

Rover8FFR

As the engine will be removed soon I have noticed whilst stripping down that one of the core plugs had been weeping below the inlet manifold (3 largest core plugs).

Having checked my Land Rover Haynes manual :readbook: there isn't a section on removal and replacement so I have turned to the forum 'Mecca' to seek advice.

I am guessing that cores plugs in freezer for a couple of days and a warmed up block would ensure a secure re-fitment, but a little unsure about removal as they are no doubts a very 'snug' fit.

Help! :help:

Its been a while since I've done one, but the best way to get them out is a hammer and chisel and or a good strong screwdriver, whack a hole in them and lever out. Refitting depends on the type of plug, whether it's a cup shape or domed. Make sure the mating surfaces are nice and clean, then apply a good dose of hylomar or similar, with the cup type plug just tap in with hammer and i find a good socket that fits the internal diameter will suffice to bed them in, for the dished type, again tap in with hammer and socket till it hits home, then give it a stout tap in the centre to expand the plug. Hope this helps.

Simon

Its been a while since I've done one, but the best way to get them out is a hammer and chisel and or a good strong screwdriver, whack a hole in them and lever out. Refitting depends on the type of plug, whether it's a cup shape or domed. Make sure the mating surfaces are nice and clean, then apply a good dose of hylomar or similar, with the cup type plug just tap in with hammer and i find a good socket that fits the internal diameter will suffice to bed them in, for the dished type, again tap in with hammer and socket till it hits home, then give it a stout tap in the centre to expand the plug. Hope this helps.

Simon

Thanks Simon. Didn't appreciate some gasket sealant was used but I guess it's belt and braces to add some.

I should have said that they are the cup type! I will add a photo so as everyone knows the ones I am talking about.

Apart from a bit of rust they aren't that tight to be honest. Bear in mind they are intended to be pushed out by ice

Screw a good self tapper/tec screw right through the core plug, then using a slide hammer or similar whack them out. If you don't have a slide hammer, clamp mole grips onto screw head and knock back with hammer. There's a chance a claw hammer with a bit of packing under it may draw them out?

Clean hole out, find a drift or a socket or something that is a good fit tight to the inside well of the core plug and then gently tap them in to refit.

I think there's one in the back as well? best to do them all

Apart from a bit of rust they aren't that tight to be honest. Bear in mind they are intended to be pushed out by ice

Screw a good self tapper/tec screw right through the core plug, then using a slide hammer or similar whack them out. If you don't have a slide hammer, clamp mole grips onto screw head and knock back with hammer. There's a chance a claw hammer with a bit of packing under it may draw them out?

Clean hole out, find a drift or a socket or something that is a good fit tight to the inside well of the core plug and then gently tap them in to refit.

I think there's one in the back as well? best to do them all

Fan Dabby Dosey! Happy days.....:thanx:

Hi

Be careful when you remove the old plug as they can go inwards and drop inside the engine water jacket. If you decide on using a chisel to lever them out it is better to use a long center punch as it is more inclined to make a hole to lever the plug out as opposed to pushing the plug inwards. As has been said it is better to change all the plugs at the same time as if one has rusted through the rest will not be far behind.

I hope this helps

Regards Steve.

Hi

Be careful when you remove the old plug as they can go inwards and drop inside the engine water jacket. If you decide on using a chisel to lever them out it is better to use a long center punch as it is more inclined to make a hole to lever the plug out as opposed to pushing the plug inwards. As has been said it is better to change all the plugs at the same time as if one has rusted through the rest will not be far behind.

I hope this helps

Regards Steve.

Thanks Steve hasn't rusted through but noticed rusty evidence of weeping around bottom circumference.

Advice on the things falling inside duly noted.

I can confirm the replies above are all good. When I last had core plugs out of an engine recently it was on a Austin Cambridge. Use the opportunity to flush the water jacket right out, preferably reversing the water flow as much as possible to remove the crap that can build up inside the water jacket. It can be scary when you see how much comes out, and the water used may run orange for over ½ hour!

Good news is that the plugs are easy to refit, and they tend to seal perfectly well without sealant.