British Jeep MOS or REME plate

Thumpercross85

Hi, we have a 1943 Willys which was in British Service till 1957 and along the way has been maintained & modified to various British standards, however we cannot find any plates in the "usual" places recording these maintenance jobs; is there a definitive set of plates and locations or did it depend on local repair organisation practice? Are reproduction plates of these types available does anyone know?

Many thanks for any guidance, Adam

Hanno, very similar to that one, which is maybe a newer equivalent? I believe the originals looked like this. Nick, thanks for that info, I will have a much closer look around the inner wing, I had been concentrating on the dash area which has some extra small holes in the middle, but they may have been for a siren button or convoy light switch?

Many thanks, Adam

MOS Plate Example 1.jpg

Hanno, very similar to that one, which is maybe a newer equivalent? I believe the originals looked like this.

Adam,

I have not see reproductions of your plate but I am sure they can be made up by one of the suppliers of repro data plates.

Hanno

I have the same

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40041[/ATTACH]

I think that there are one or two versions about and there still seem to be some originals around that haven't been stamped as I have certainly seen them on stalls at Malvern and Stoneleigh in the past - The hardest part is spotting them in amongst everything else !! .

My m20 has one of these types of plate on the toolbox lid as seen here , but my jeep had a thicker piece of brass plate with its base workshops overhaul data from 1951 on it . This was attached to the chassis rail - This was a slightly smaller plate in size than the one here and did not have any pre-formed boxes or printing on it but still had all its information on there which was stamped into the surface in the normal manner .

Hope this helps , cheers :coffee:

Thanks, that's very interesting, especially that NOS ones many still be around, and that a smaller locally made plate may be used? I am not convinced I have searched in all the possible places, so I'll get the torch out and inspect the chassis rails more closely - I'm sure there is a plate missing as the VIN number on the V5C does not relate to anything else I have traced back from the British Army registration number and that must have been copied across to the civilian document from somewhere as the civilian registration number is the original 1957 one. All suggestions welcome!

Thanks, Adam

Hi, could you tell me what the distance between the holes is on this plate, as I have 4 holes in the centre of the dash which are too close together and low down for a Shipping Plate, and it could be this kind of British Plate that would have been on there?

Much appreciated, thanks, Adam

• 2 months later...

I have four holes in the dash board of my British Jeep and believe the smaller plate was once there. There is original OD where the missing tag was attached. The only other REME tag is located on the engine block, no other MOS tag exists.

Thanks for the help so far, I have double checked all likely locations and the centre of the dash is still the only place I can see evidence of a possible rebuild plate site? Pic attached, with the 4 fixing holes revealed after removing a standard glovebox lid brass gear selection plate which had been rivetted into this position when all the glovebox holes were blanked during a rebuild at some point. I would also be interested to know what was in the dash by the left hand dashboard light if anyone has any ideas; 4 holes inside a recess in the thicker paint as shown - although it could be post 1957 civilian modification of course? Many thanks for all the input, Adam

P1020409.jpg

P1020410.jpg