Fox fluid coupling seal

markbg

Hi

Among other things Im fixing I want to fix the leak on the fluid coupling on the fox , ive read that a ferret fluid coupling can use a seal from john deere but is this the same as the Fox?

Also it was mentioned you can use RTV instant gasket for the seal? would this work?

any thoughts let me know the engines out and being repaired so i need to do this soonish

cheers

Mark B

Hi

Among other things Im fixing I want to fix the leak on the fluid coupling on the fox , ive read that a ferret fluid coupling can use a seal from john deere but is this the same as the Fox?

Also it was mentioned you can use RTV instant gasket for the seal? would this work?

any thoughts let me know the engines out and being repaired so i need to do this soonish

cheers

Mark B

Hi Mark

have you tried Banister's? he may have the correct one?? see you soon..

Sorry if my reply is not appropriate as I know nothing about Fox's etc.

In the Agricultural world we used to come across many 'odd' bearings and seals. A phone call to the local bearing firm with details of sizes etc. we were allways fixed up next day or two days if the seal was a bit special.

Just a thought.

Andy.

We bought this seal of Marcus Glen recently.

The John Deere website can be found at https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.deere.u90.jdparts.view.publicservlets.HomeUnsigned

Reference is made elsewhere on this website to the JD part NO, which is probably preferable as it appears to be of better construction. Alternatively any bearing supplier should have one off the shelf if you take along the old seal ...

J & D ( Nothing to do with John Deere btw)

Hi

cheers

Mark B

And Here is the seal specification :-

clear.gifEnglish Metric clear.gifclear.gifSpecificationWeight0.09 LBS 0.04 KgShaft Diameter1.750 INSeal Outside Diameter2.506 INWidth0.374 INSpring TypeGARTER MaterialFLUORO Finish NoteA clear.gifclear.gifclear.gifPart Diagram

69630105.jpg

clear.gif

clear.gif

There is a problem using the seal illustrated, in that it has a dirt excluder lip. The correct seal, was made by GACO (George Angus), and although of a standard ID, OD and width it was slightly different shape on the outer side of the lip area. This was because a spacer washer was inserted against the seal and retained by a circlip. The washer was in three differing thicknesses to ensure a good "nip" when the clip was fitted, it also is shaped to stop the lip blowing out with any pressure building up in the flywheel. I know some people have dispensed with the washer, others have turned it around so that it is no longer protecting the lip from deformation. I also note the diagram shows the seal as metal cased type, I would be happier to use the rubber moulded type to ensure a good seal on the outer rim.

Not trying to be critical, but having done this job on many vehicles over the years, from Dingo to Ferret, Saracen, Saladin, and Fox, I am speaking from experience.

regards, Richard

Hi Richard,

Glad you could comment - because we were just about to purchase the seal as opposed to the one we had from Marcus Glen.

Obviously retaining the washer is important!

Diana and Jackie

There is a problem using the seal illustrated, in that it has a dirt excluder lip. The correct seal, was made by GACO (George Angus), and although of a standard ID, OD and width it was slightly different shape on the outer side of the lip area. This was because a spacer washer was inserted against the seal and retained by a circlip. The washer was in three differing thicknesses to ensure a good "nip" when the clip was fitted, it also is shaped to stop the lip blowing out with any pressure building up in the flywheel. I know some people have dispensed with the washer, others have turned it around so that it is no longer protecting the lip from deformation. I also note the diagram shows the seal as metal cased type, I would be happier to use the rubber moulded type to ensure a good seal on the outer rim.

Not trying to be critical, but having done this job on many vehicles over the years, from Dingo to Ferret, Saracen, Saladin, and Fox, I am speaking from experience.

regards, Richard

• 4 years later...

Just for info, the "Ferret Scout Car Precis" document (which is very interesting and seems to have been hand-typed by someone trying to explain stuff that is poorly explained in the manuals) has a sketch of this seal:

Ferret precis sketch of oil seal.JPG

The sketch seems to show the washer is contoured to fit the outside face of the oil seal exactly to provide support when the oil pressure is high, as Richard says.

The precis also says:

Precis instructions.JPG

This requirement to preload the seal with the washer and test to 40 psi gives the impression supporting the seal is quite important, although maybe only under high loads?

Malcolm

Malcolm,

The support washer fitted the seals that were supplied for the flywheel, but in civvy use, that particular make/type of seal is difficult to locate now, although it is a common size, it is the profile of non pressure side that differs, not allowing the washer to press up against lip of seal. There are ways around it, by making a support washer to fit seals that are obtainable. Some people have turned the washer around. Personally, I have always been able to locate the correct seals, so cannot vouch on other methods.