Ford v8

T corbin

Yup, it is a topic with no end I think! I have seen two 'rip out' late 1940s Dagenham Flatheads (they were all 21 stud) and have a wartime sump in my workshop, they were all the same shade of lightish green. I matched it reasonably close with an off the shelf industrial colour called 'Oliver Green', that's right OLIVER in there Supercote range manufactured by The Witham Group in Lincoln. They also have branches in Suffolk and Cambridge. www.withamgroup.co.uk

People say, Black, Blue, Grey etc.. But I'll stick with the evidence.... I also found the same shade of green on my Loyd gearbox, hidden under an oily patch.

Wot colour where the V8 engine that where fitted to trucks early WW 11 ???

Also any idea of year of engine No 7037774 ???

T CORBIN

I assume you are talking about British made Ford V8 engines.

Ford engines were painted Grey pre-war, but went to Khaki Brown when Military vehicles went into full pruduction. I don't know of a date for this, but my guess is early 1941. The Grey colour was highlighted in one of Bart Vandeveen's 'Wheels & Tracks' magazines.

In the Ford film 'Changeover' it shows vehicles being made, and these all have the engine the same colour as the vehicle. The film was made in late 1941 as it shows WOA2 vehicles but no WOT6 trucks are seen.

Ford V8 engine 7037774 is possibly very late 1942, but data on this is sketchy at best, so don't rely on this.

Not sure where the Bright Green colur comes from, but engines overhauled by Nordians in the 1950s and 1960s were painted a bright Greeny-Bluey colour, and Fordson Tractors were painted green.

As you can see this Flathead sump is green on grey, I presume it is grey primer, but I suppose it could be a postwar rebuild coat on the original grey... I'm not convinced yet.

That looks like post-war Green to me. Possibly from a vehicle re-sprayed in the 50s.

As you can see this Flathead sump is green on grey, I presume it is grey primer, but I suppose it could be a postwar rebuild coat on the original grey... I'm not convinced yet.

The green on your engine is very much like the same shade as the WOT6 engine in my attached photo. This engine was overhauled by REME at their workshops in Wesser, 1952. You can see the difference between the engine green and the Deep Bronze Green of the cab.

In cab - Ford WOT6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a very original Dagenham V8 today and all parts were still showing the light grey that I thought was primer on the other 21 stud I have seen. So perhaps we can say that Dagenham flatheads were finished in grey and USA 24 stud units were ford dark green. I saw an original 1939-42 flathead last week and it showed signs of dark green on the block. All we need is someone to come up with on original wartime Dagenham memo and we will be 100% sure. I reckon Richard has hit the nail on the head as to where the bright green came from... Post war army refurb units. The green one I had in the shed had a 1952 date on the sump plug.

Edited by ajmac

• 2 weeks later...
In the Ford film 'Changeover' it shows vehicles being made, and these all have the engine the same colour as the vehicle. The film was made in late 1941 as it shows WOA2 vehicles but no WOT6 trucks are seen.

This ties in with Ford Canada production, engine colour the same as the vehicle. Picture below shows engine cover off for service/repairs in the field, note the engine block has the same colour as the vehicle. Ancillaries were black.

3121.jpg

Have just spoken to WALLY WEATLEY ex NORIDANS about V8 colour. FORD engine came out of the factory dark green (close to British racing green) .Up until the mid 1940 then painted the same as the truck T CORBIN

Hi Tony,

And Wally should know more than anyone, so it looks like the photo I posted of a WOT6 engine, was not far off then.

I can now remember some V8 engines from Balloon winches, that we had in for repairs (late 70's) and engine and gearbox were as your photo, in colour.

Have just spoken to WALLY WEATLEY ex NORIDANS about V8 colour. FORD engine came out of the factory dark green (close to British racing green) .Up until the mid 1940 then painted the same as the truck T CORBIN

Tony

I've just seen a photo of a WOT6 being built in WW2 at Dagenham. You can see the engine and it is a very dark colour, not Black, but nearly. I should think it is a very dark Green, so British Racing Green or possibly Deep Bronze Green seems to match. The photo is on the rear dust jacket of 'Ford at Dagenham' by David Burgess-Wise.

Robert Davey